Skip to main content

No Asian Chicken For You! and Winter Beauty

I made an Asian dish for dinner last night. It is my own recipe, or rather, a combination of some of my favorite Asian chicken recipes (that makes it my own original recipe, doesn't it?). It has a rich, satiny sauce infused with the flavors of garlic and onion. It's spicy, but not too spicy. The chicken is incredibly tender and delicious. Vegetables round out the flavors and make it a complete and healthy meal served over steaming rice. I made it just so I could share it right here with you. I even photographed all of the ingredients and preparation of this masterpiece. You know what I forgot to do? Take a picture of the finished dish! So, while I had planned to post the recipe today, it will have to wait until I make it again. No Asian Chicken for you!

Winter is still going strong here in Michigan, as it will be for another month or two. The temperatures have remained well below freezing since mid-December and the snow remains nearly a foot deep anywhere that hasn't been plowed or shoveled. Quite frankly, it's depressing.

Everything looks so dead this time of year. I miss spending time outside. I miss the flowers and the green grass. I miss the leaves on the trees. I miss having the windows open. After the novelty of the first snow wears off, it's hard for me to find anything beautiful about winter.

Saturday was the first day that the sun appeared in quite a while and I did find something beautiful. Almost sculptural, in fact. I was looking out the living room window and saw some spectacular icicles contrasted against the brilliant blue sky. I grabbed my camera and took a few pictures.



It's not enough to make me stop counting the days until spring, but it does make me appreciate the beauty of winter just a little bit.

Comments

Lissaloo said…
Beautiful Pictures! I too am ready for spring, it has been so cold here the last few days, I am definitely ready for sunshine and green things! I am waiting enthusiastically for the Asian Chicken, it sounds really good :)
I haven't seen snow in so long, love the pictures!

Popular posts from this blog

Bugging Out

Spring is such a wonderful time of year.  The birds have returned and greet each morning with their lovely songs.  The tree branches are covered with green buds ready to burst into life.  The grass has shed it's yellow/brown pallor in favor of a lovely emerald.  The air is warm and breezy.  It's all so lovely except for one thing.  The bugs. Because of our nearly uninhabitable climate during the winter months, we don't see many bugs from late October through early April.  I almost forget how much I hate them until they come back.  And they know I hate them so they taunt me.  Ever since the thermometer hit the 60 degree mark, we've had flies congregating around the back porch.  I can't sit out there and enjoy my morning coffee without having them buzz past me. Now, flies I hate, but spiders I absolutely loathe.  Friday morning I walked into the bathroom to dry my hair and spotted what I thought was a bumble ...

It's Wednesday, Welcome Back To The Cocktail Party!

Welcome to Willoughby's Blog Style Cocktail Party. I hope you will find some new blogs to follow and expand your circle of blog friends. I know you're all anxious to mingle, so I'll get right to it. I'd like to introduce Deidra from Jumping Tandem .  I know you'll enjoy her blog as much as I do. Keeping It Real.... Deidra I'm an East Coast girl living in the midwest because I love my husband (I call him "H" around here) and his work brought us here. We have been blessed with two amazing children (currently in college) and an empty nest that I absolutely love! Don't get me wrong, I love my kids but they're destined to change the world and they can't do that living under my roof (although they're welcome back anytime for love, prayers, support, encouragement, and of course homecooked meals and clean laundry). Did I mention that H is a pastor? So that makes me the pastor's wife - but don't let that blur your vision. H is...

It's Time For A Giveaway!

I am excited to announce that Novica has, once again given me a $50 gift card to award to one lucky winner.  If you're not familiar with Novica , they work in association with National Geographic to bring the work of talented artists and artisans around the globe to the rest of the world via the internet. Shopping their website is a unique experience as you can view information about each artist along with the works they create.  It gives each item a very personal feeling.  In the Keepers Of The Arts section, you can watch videos of the artists at work. I love Novica so much that I could go on and on telling you how wonderful their website is, what great customer service they have and, especially, how talented the artisans are, but it would be much more fun for you to see for yourself.  Before you head over there, though, let me give you a sneak peak of some of the wonderful things you'll discover (and maybe help you find some unique Christmas gifts). Wool...