Skip to main content

Passion In The Kitchen

Kitchen tools are awesome, aren't they? Can you ever have too many? I guess you could say that you have too many if you don't have room for all of them. I would rather just say my kitchen needs to be bigger! I love accessories and gadgets of all sorts and have a serious passion for buying them. I can honestly say that I do use most of the ones I own. Yes, I said most. I've purchased a dud or two, but I really do love to use the things I have.



This is one of my favorites. It's a straight blade pizza knife, but it's good for so much more than pizza. It's great for cutting bar cookies and other square treats and getting them all the same size. It's not something I use on a daily basis, but when I need it, it's great to have. I made cereal bars today and it was so much easier to cut them into squares using this knife than a regular knife.




I'm also very fond of the kitchen items I've inherited and the vintage items I've collected. These green glass dessert plates belonged to my great grandmother. They're fairly fragile, but I try to use them as often as I can anyway. I would much rather use the things that I love than have them sitting in a cabinet unappreciated.




It just wouldn't be the same to toss a handful of nuts into the food processor. I love to use the hand cranked nut grinder, or enlist one of my kids to do the job for me. It's only drawback is that you can't adjust the size of the grind. But for finely chopped or ground nuts, it's my first choice. My mom has one just like it and so did my grandma. I bought this one at an antique show. It got quite a workout this past Christmas.




This is a handy vintage gadget, too, and it's another antique show purchase. Do you know what it is? It's a jar opener. The gears allow it to automatically adjust to the size of the jar lid. There are little "grabbers" that grip the edge of the lid and the handle gives you extra leverage. I've yet to encounter a jar I couldn't open with this little guy.





I could go on and on and on........

Comments

Lissaloo said…
I have to stay out of kitchen stores for that reason, I want to buy every gadget I see! I love, love, love the green plates, & the pizza slicer is now at the top of my need list! :)
Gracey said…
I love kitchen gadgets too! I cannot afford many things right now, but one of my dreams is having a fully equipped kitchen one day! The green dishes are awesome. The vintage pieces also add quite a touch.
Willoughby said…
Lissaloo - thanks, I love the green plates, too. I got the pizza slicer at Cooking.com years ago for around $20, but they don't carry this one anymore. The new ones are close to $45!! Seems like a lot for something you don't use every day. I found one here for about $17, though (I love window shopping at restaurant supply stores). http://www.webstaurantstore.com/third1076/products/pizza-cutters.html
Willoughby said…
Gracey - You'll have so much fun when you do buy all the things you want for your kitchen! I think buying the vintage pieces is even more fun than buying new ones because they're so much more unique!

Popular posts from this blog

Bugging Out

Spring is such a wonderful time of year.  The birds have returned and greet each morning with their lovely songs.  The tree branches are covered with green buds ready to burst into life.  The grass has shed it's yellow/brown pallor in favor of a lovely emerald.  The air is warm and breezy.  It's all so lovely except for one thing.  The bugs. Because of our nearly uninhabitable climate during the winter months, we don't see many bugs from late October through early April.  I almost forget how much I hate them until they come back.  And they know I hate them so they taunt me.  Ever since the thermometer hit the 60 degree mark, we've had flies congregating around the back porch.  I can't sit out there and enjoy my morning coffee without having them buzz past me. Now, flies I hate, but spiders I absolutely loathe.  Friday morning I walked into the bathroom to dry my hair and spotted what I thought was a bumble ...

It's Wednesday, Welcome Back To The Cocktail Party!

Welcome to Willoughby's Blog Style Cocktail Party. I hope you will find some new blogs to follow and expand your circle of blog friends. I know you're all anxious to mingle, so I'll get right to it. I'd like to introduce Deidra from Jumping Tandem .  I know you'll enjoy her blog as much as I do. Keeping It Real.... Deidra I'm an East Coast girl living in the midwest because I love my husband (I call him "H" around here) and his work brought us here. We have been blessed with two amazing children (currently in college) and an empty nest that I absolutely love! Don't get me wrong, I love my kids but they're destined to change the world and they can't do that living under my roof (although they're welcome back anytime for love, prayers, support, encouragement, and of course homecooked meals and clean laundry). Did I mention that H is a pastor? So that makes me the pastor's wife - but don't let that blur your vision. H is...

It's Time For A Giveaway!

I am excited to announce that Novica has, once again given me a $50 gift card to award to one lucky winner.  If you're not familiar with Novica , they work in association with National Geographic to bring the work of talented artists and artisans around the globe to the rest of the world via the internet. Shopping their website is a unique experience as you can view information about each artist along with the works they create.  It gives each item a very personal feeling.  In the Keepers Of The Arts section, you can watch videos of the artists at work. I love Novica so much that I could go on and on telling you how wonderful their website is, what great customer service they have and, especially, how talented the artisans are, but it would be much more fun for you to see for yourself.  Before you head over there, though, let me give you a sneak peak of some of the wonderful things you'll discover (and maybe help you find some unique Christmas gifts). Wool...