Skip to main content

Photo Fun

Have you done anything with those holiday pictures yet? Me neither. I have a terrible habit of taking pictures and then just letting them hang out on my computer for months before I do anything special with them. Today, though, I felt like doing a project. I didn't stick to holiday pictures, but this project is fun with any pictures you have.

There are plenty of places that will turn your photos into magazine covers, but you don't need to pay anyone to do it for you. It's pretty easy to do it yourself. I don't have any fancy schmancy photo editing software, either. I'm still using the software that came with our first desktop computer. It's antiquated, but I know how to use it. The computer itself melted one day a few years ago, but that's another story. If you have software that will let you add text to pictures, you're good to go. Because I don't know what editing package you'll be using, I can't give you any specific instructions, but I can give you some examples of what I've done.

I took this picture of the frozen shore of Lake Huron in Lexington, Michigan. You can't even imagine the temperature with the wind coming off the lake.



I love this one! Thanks to my father in law, I have some wonderful old family pictures. I wasn't sure how I would feel about a project done solely in black and white, but I'm so glad I tried it.




Ok, I may have gotten a little carried away with this one, but what else can you do with pictures like this? I took this picture at an outdoor summer concert. Nice view, eh?



Now, what do you do with the magazine covers that you've created? You could, of course, print them on photo paper and frame them. My favorite way to use them is to print them on magnetic sheets (available at craft stores) and make refrigerator magnets. If you scale down your creations, you can get six smaller magnets or four larger ones per sheet. Whatever you do, have fun!

One last bit of Willoughby wisdom - Take a lesson from me and be sure to back up all of your digital photos on a flash drive or a disc. We lost several years of precious family photos because of a crashed computer.

Comments

Lissaloo said…
I love the magnet idea! I'm going to have to go look for some. I don't think I even have my Christmas photos off the camera yet! :)
Willoughby said…
The magnets are really fun. My daughter and I have made them as gifts and everyone always gets a kick out of them.
ChristineM said…
I, too, am guilty of leaving my photos in limbo! My SIL in Florida doesn't have a computer, so I owe her pics of my daughter from Halloween....2007!...and on!

Love the magazine covers! Very clever!
Willoughby said…
I know what you mean, Christine, I still have undeveloped film from years ago before we got a digital camera!

Glad you like the magazine covers, they're a riot to make!

Popular posts from this blog

Bugging Out

Spring is such a wonderful time of year.  The birds have returned and greet each morning with their lovely songs.  The tree branches are covered with green buds ready to burst into life.  The grass has shed it's yellow/brown pallor in favor of a lovely emerald.  The air is warm and breezy.  It's all so lovely except for one thing.  The bugs. Because of our nearly uninhabitable climate during the winter months, we don't see many bugs from late October through early April.  I almost forget how much I hate them until they come back.  And they know I hate them so they taunt me.  Ever since the thermometer hit the 60 degree mark, we've had flies congregating around the back porch.  I can't sit out there and enjoy my morning coffee without having them buzz past me. Now, flies I hate, but spiders I absolutely loathe.  Friday morning I walked into the bathroom to dry my hair and spotted what I thought was a bumble ...

It's Wednesday, Welcome Back To The Cocktail Party!

Welcome to Willoughby's Blog Style Cocktail Party. I hope you will find some new blogs to follow and expand your circle of blog friends. I know you're all anxious to mingle, so I'll get right to it. I'd like to introduce Deidra from Jumping Tandem .  I know you'll enjoy her blog as much as I do. Keeping It Real.... Deidra I'm an East Coast girl living in the midwest because I love my husband (I call him "H" around here) and his work brought us here. We have been blessed with two amazing children (currently in college) and an empty nest that I absolutely love! Don't get me wrong, I love my kids but they're destined to change the world and they can't do that living under my roof (although they're welcome back anytime for love, prayers, support, encouragement, and of course homecooked meals and clean laundry). Did I mention that H is a pastor? So that makes me the pastor's wife - but don't let that blur your vision. H is...

It's Time For A Giveaway!

I am excited to announce that Novica has, once again given me a $50 gift card to award to one lucky winner.  If you're not familiar with Novica , they work in association with National Geographic to bring the work of talented artists and artisans around the globe to the rest of the world via the internet. Shopping their website is a unique experience as you can view information about each artist along with the works they create.  It gives each item a very personal feeling.  In the Keepers Of The Arts section, you can watch videos of the artists at work. I love Novica so much that I could go on and on telling you how wonderful their website is, what great customer service they have and, especially, how talented the artisans are, but it would be much more fun for you to see for yourself.  Before you head over there, though, let me give you a sneak peak of some of the wonderful things you'll discover (and maybe help you find some unique Christmas gifts). Wool...