Skip to main content

Mixed Berry Margaritas and Roasted Chicken

We were so busy with our son and his new car this weekend that I never got around to posting a Friday Night Drink Demo. But just because I care so much about my fellow blog buddies, I have one for you today. No, I didn't make them this morning, we made them last night. However, they are full of healthful berries so I suppose you could have them for/with breakfast. Hey, I'm not judging you.....

I'm also going to share my recipe for delicious, roasted chicken. Unfortunately there are no pictures of it. After having my margarita, I forgot all about photographing our dinner!

Ready to begin? Here we go!



Mixed Berry Margaritas

First you'll need some frozen, mixed berries and




Tequila, Triple Sec, Whiskey Sour mix (you can sub sweet and sour mix or plain lemon or lime juice), sugar and ice (not pictured).



We used our Magic Bullet for this, but you can use a blender instead (I'm honestly not that impressed with the Magic Bullet). For each drink, add 1/2 cup crushed ice, 1/2 cup frozen mixed berries, 2 ounces Tequila, 2 ounces Whiskey Sour mix, 1 ounce Triple Sec and 2 tablespoons sugar to your Magic Bullet cup or blender. Blend until smooth. Pour into a salt rimmed glass and enjoy!




~Note~ If your berries are tart or you enjoy a sweeter drink, you may need to add more sugar. Also, if you are bothered by the seeds in the berries, you can puree them first and strain through a fine sieve.



Slow Roasted Chicken


If you spend any time on the recipe exchange at Allrecipes, you know how popular the recipe for Roast Sticky Chicken-Rotisserie Style is. It's a great recipe, don't get me wrong, I just happened to like mine better. My recipe is similar in that it also uses a dry rub, low oven temperature and long cooking time, but the subtle differences make for a juicier, more flavorful end product. If you decide to try both, let me know which one you like better. I'll give the instructions for making two whole chickens for easy comparison. Here's my recipe:

  • 2 Three to 4 pound whole chickens
  • 4 Tablespoons Onion Powder
  • 4 Tablespoons Garlic Powder
  • 4 Tablespoons Smoked Paprika
  • 2 Tablespoon Ground Black Pepper
  • 1 teaspoon Salt
  • 4 small white onions, quartered
  • 8 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed

In a small bowl mix together onion powder, garlic powder, smoked paprika, ground black pepper and salt. Remove 1/3 of mix to a separate small bowl or shaker and set aside. Remove any contents inside chicken cavities (giblets, necks, etc.). Rinse chickens inside and out under cold running water. Pat dry. Rub each chicken inside and out with 2/3 of the spice mixture. Stuff each cavity with 2 quartered onions and 4 cloves of peeled smashed garlic. Using heavy, regular sewing thread, tie both legs and the tail portion of the chicken together. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and place in a zip top plastic bag (one gallon size works well). Refrigerate until ready to cook (overnight if you plan ahead, a few hours if you're like me!).


Ready to cook? Preheat oven to 275 degrees. Unwrap chickens and place in a roasting pan breast side down (looks weird, I know, but it makes the breast meat extra juicy). Bake for 3 hours. Remove chickens from oven. Increase oven temperature to 400 degrees. Flip chickens over so that the breast side is up. Baste with pan juices and sprinkle with remaining spice mix. Return to oven for 40 - 60 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 180 degrees.

Let rest for 10-15 minutes before carving to retain juices.


~Note~ Sam's Club sells whole chickens packaged in pairs for a great price. I don't recall what I payed per pound, but the package of two was under $8. We used one whole chicken and a small portion of the second one for dinner last night. I shredded the rest and have more than enough to make chicken quesadillas another night.

Comments

Donna-FFW said…
I mustsay your drinks are one of my MOST favorite things on your blog. Your drinks ROCK!
Willoughby said…
Thanks, Donna! I can't wait until nicer weather to be able to have drinks outside again! Margaritas make me think of summer.
L.B. said…
I'm more of a beer drinker than a margarita man but that one looks pretty good. My wife would gobble that down quickly.
Gracey said…
Mmm, great idea!
Unknown said…
Can I count this as a serving of fruit for the day? Yummers! I do like the Roast Sticky Chix on AR but will definitely have to give your blend a try. I don't have smoked paprika, however...would regular paprika work?
Willoughby said…
5th - It totally counts as a serving of fruit. Think of it as a smoothie with a kick! Yes, I'm sure regular paprika would be great. If you try it, let me know what you think!
Fruit, alcohol, and roast meat? That's 3 of my favorite food groups!

Popular posts from this blog

Bugging Out

Spring is such a wonderful time of year.  The birds have returned and greet each morning with their lovely songs.  The tree branches are covered with green buds ready to burst into life.  The grass has shed it's yellow/brown pallor in favor of a lovely emerald.  The air is warm and breezy.  It's all so lovely except for one thing.  The bugs. Because of our nearly uninhabitable climate during the winter months, we don't see many bugs from late October through early April.  I almost forget how much I hate them until they come back.  And they know I hate them so they taunt me.  Ever since the thermometer hit the 60 degree mark, we've had flies congregating around the back porch.  I can't sit out there and enjoy my morning coffee without having them buzz past me. Now, flies I hate, but spiders I absolutely loathe.  Friday morning I walked into the bathroom to dry my hair and spotted what I thought was a bumble ...

It's Wednesday, Welcome Back To The Cocktail Party!

Welcome to Willoughby's Blog Style Cocktail Party. I hope you will find some new blogs to follow and expand your circle of blog friends. I know you're all anxious to mingle, so I'll get right to it. I'd like to introduce Deidra from Jumping Tandem .  I know you'll enjoy her blog as much as I do. Keeping It Real.... Deidra I'm an East Coast girl living in the midwest because I love my husband (I call him "H" around here) and his work brought us here. We have been blessed with two amazing children (currently in college) and an empty nest that I absolutely love! Don't get me wrong, I love my kids but they're destined to change the world and they can't do that living under my roof (although they're welcome back anytime for love, prayers, support, encouragement, and of course homecooked meals and clean laundry). Did I mention that H is a pastor? So that makes me the pastor's wife - but don't let that blur your vision. H is...

It's Time For A Giveaway!

I am excited to announce that Novica has, once again given me a $50 gift card to award to one lucky winner.  If you're not familiar with Novica , they work in association with National Geographic to bring the work of talented artists and artisans around the globe to the rest of the world via the internet. Shopping their website is a unique experience as you can view information about each artist along with the works they create.  It gives each item a very personal feeling.  In the Keepers Of The Arts section, you can watch videos of the artists at work. I love Novica so much that I could go on and on telling you how wonderful their website is, what great customer service they have and, especially, how talented the artisans are, but it would be much more fun for you to see for yourself.  Before you head over there, though, let me give you a sneak peak of some of the wonderful things you'll discover (and maybe help you find some unique Christmas gifts). Wool...