Skip to main content

Spring Cleaning

I don't usually feel the need to do much spring cleaning on the inside of the house. I have a pretty good system that keeps my house clean on a daily basis (click here if you missed it the first time I posted it, and want to know more). The windows and screens, though, always need to be cleaned by the time the weather warms up.

We take the screens down over the winter and store them in the garage. I'm not sure why that seems to be standard in this part of the country. I don't think the snow would damage them. I think it's probably a hold over from a time when people put up storm windows. The only reason we take ours down is because we hang Christmas wreaths on the windows and we have to remove the screens to do it. In any case, they get dirty sitting around in the garage.

The weather was pretty nice on Saturday, so I decided it would be a good time to clean the screens and put them back up. I was planning to wash the windows, too. As it turned out, I got started a little later than I expected and the temperature dropped, so the windows are still in need of cleaning. Our windows tilt in, so all the cleaning can be done from the inside, but it was too cold to keep them open that long. I did wash the screens, though, and I wanted to share the method I used because it worked great and was a lot less labor intensive than my old way.

Normally, I fill a bucket with warm soapy water and scrub the screens with a scrub brush, then rinse them with the hose. We have a lot of windows (and therefore screens), so this takes quite a while and they tend to dry with streaks on them. I also worry about damaging the screens with the scrub brush.

This time I decided to try Scrubbing Bubbles Mega Shower Foamer. I figured if it could clean the shower without scrubbing, it could do the same for the screens. If you've never used it before, it sprays out as a liquid and turns to foam almost immediately on contact. It's perfect because the foam gets into the little holes in the screen and cleans out all the dust and dirt without any scrubbing. I let the foam work for a few minutes and then rinsed it thoroughly with the hose. It worked great and they dried without any streaks. I should mention that we have vinyl screens with metal frames. I would suggest testing it on a small area if you have metal screening material or wood frames. In fact, it's probably a good idea to test it on a small area, regardless, just to be safe.

If you happened to have had a blast of non-spring like weather over the weekend, I apologize. It snowed a little on Sunday night in our neck of the woods. I take full responsibility. Nothing brings back winter faster doing some spring cleaning!

Comments

abby jenkins said…
Funny I just started spring cleaning and then it turned in to a blog post...more propping than mopping! I better stay on track or this could take all spring :p
Lissaloo said…
Darn you, what were you thinking! Just kidding :) I enjoy spring cleaning, it makes me feel like summer is coming I guess. :) I am going to have to pick up some of that cleaner, it sounds like it works great :)

Popular posts from this blog

Bugging Out

Spring is such a wonderful time of year.  The birds have returned and greet each morning with their lovely songs.  The tree branches are covered with green buds ready to burst into life.  The grass has shed it's yellow/brown pallor in favor of a lovely emerald.  The air is warm and breezy.  It's all so lovely except for one thing.  The bugs. Because of our nearly uninhabitable climate during the winter months, we don't see many bugs from late October through early April.  I almost forget how much I hate them until they come back.  And they know I hate them so they taunt me.  Ever since the thermometer hit the 60 degree mark, we've had flies congregating around the back porch.  I can't sit out there and enjoy my morning coffee without having them buzz past me. Now, flies I hate, but spiders I absolutely loathe.  Friday morning I walked into the bathroom to dry my hair and spotted what I thought was a bumble ...

It's Wednesday, Welcome Back To The Cocktail Party!

Welcome to Willoughby's Blog Style Cocktail Party. I hope you will find some new blogs to follow and expand your circle of blog friends. I know you're all anxious to mingle, so I'll get right to it. I'd like to introduce Deidra from Jumping Tandem .  I know you'll enjoy her blog as much as I do. Keeping It Real.... Deidra I'm an East Coast girl living in the midwest because I love my husband (I call him "H" around here) and his work brought us here. We have been blessed with two amazing children (currently in college) and an empty nest that I absolutely love! Don't get me wrong, I love my kids but they're destined to change the world and they can't do that living under my roof (although they're welcome back anytime for love, prayers, support, encouragement, and of course homecooked meals and clean laundry). Did I mention that H is a pastor? So that makes me the pastor's wife - but don't let that blur your vision. H is...

It's Time For A Giveaway!

I am excited to announce that Novica has, once again given me a $50 gift card to award to one lucky winner.  If you're not familiar with Novica , they work in association with National Geographic to bring the work of talented artists and artisans around the globe to the rest of the world via the internet. Shopping their website is a unique experience as you can view information about each artist along with the works they create.  It gives each item a very personal feeling.  In the Keepers Of The Arts section, you can watch videos of the artists at work. I love Novica so much that I could go on and on telling you how wonderful their website is, what great customer service they have and, especially, how talented the artisans are, but it would be much more fun for you to see for yourself.  Before you head over there, though, let me give you a sneak peak of some of the wonderful things you'll discover (and maybe help you find some unique Christmas gifts). Wool...