Skip to main content

Brunch, Cupcakes And Cheesecake With A Shout Out

I hope you had a lovely Easter Sunday. We did. And as with any holiday, lots of good food was involved.



Brunch

If you didn't run right out and buy croissants the last time I mentioned them (here), you really need to. We made wonderful sandwiches by slicing them open and stuffing them with scrambled eggs (fried would be good, too) and cheese, and heating them in a 350 degree oven for 8 minutes. Served with Mr. Willoughby's trademark bacon on the grill, hash browns, coffee and assorted juices, it was a fast, easy and delicious brunch. It was so good, in fact, that I have no pictures because everything disappeared the minute it hit the table.

We had dinner at my parents' house, so I didn't have to do any cooking, but the girls and I made some fabulous desserts to take along.


Cupcakes

Purple Hoodie Chick and I made filled cupcakes. The original plan was to make chocolate cupcakes, but I was out of cocoa. So as much as I hate to admit it, we got a little help from this guy.

I prefer to cook and bake from scratch, but I have yet to find a great, moist yellow cake recipe (if you've got one, please share!). I had this box of yellow cake mix for a different recipe, but we went ahead and used it to make our cupcakes. After they were baked and cooled, we filled a pastry bag with fudge icing. Using a long star tip (I'm not sure which number tip we used), we inserted it into the top of each cupcake and squeezed filling into them.

Next we covered the tops with a chocolate glaze. I love this recipe because it sets up to a fudge-like consistency.

Chocolate Glaze

  • 3 tablespoons butter

  • 1 tablespoon light corn syrup

  • 3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

  • 1/4 teaspoon vanilla

In small saucepan over low heat, melt butter. Add corn syrup and chocolate chips, stirring constantly until completely melted. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Use immediately.

We then finished them off by piping a star on top with the fudge icing that was used for filling. I know it sounds like a lot of work, but it really isn't. And yes, they are delicious!


Cheesecake


I have to give a shout out to my friend Lissaloo at One Step At A Time for this recipe. She made it a while ago and I've been meaning to try it ever since I read about it on her blog. It's Sopapilla Cheesecake. If you check out her blog, you can link to another blog to get the recipe. It is fast and easy to make, though we did fight with the dough a bit to stretch it over the top and seal the seams (my fault, really, for using a lasagna pan which is a little larger than 9 x 13). Even so, I highly recommend this recipe, especially if you are baking with kids because it doesn't require very many ingredients so it comes together before they get bored. My nine year old daughter loved helping with this one.


This smelled so good while it was baking that I could hardly wait to taste it. It's wonderful with the crispy cinnamon sugar top and the creamy filling. Thanks, Lissaloo! Everyone loved it!

Comments

Heidi said…
Everything looked great! I can't wait to try the glaze for the cup cakes.
The brunch sounded really yummy...bacon, mmmmmmm
Lissaloo said…
K what did you use to fill the cupcakes? I think I missed something??? I get to make 3 batches of cupcakes this month & I am definitely making filled ones, Yummy! I'm glad you tried sopapilla recipe, I have been wanting to make that again, yum :)
BashfulToast said…
Omg, all of these things are amazingly delicious! Except i didnt have the sandwhich just a slice of bacon. The cheese cake was kind of a challenge but turned out wonderful. And ive eaten almost 4 cupcakes already!
Donna-FFW said…
These all look like such winners. I want to try both. GREAT job.. the cupcakes look adorable..
Willoughby said…
Lissaloo - No, you didn't miss anything, I didn't post a recipe for the filling because we used some premade chocolate frosting I had on hand. I love to fill cupcakes with all kinds of fillings. My favorites are chocolate cream cheese frosting (there's a good recipe for this on AR), or Nutella (insanely good and so simple). I always use the chocolate glaze that I posted to glaze the tops. It's delicious.
Lissaloo said…
Yummy! Now I need to decide on a filling :) Thanks for the great tip, I am so excited to give it a try! :)

Popular posts from this blog

Bugging Out

Spring is such a wonderful time of year.  The birds have returned and greet each morning with their lovely songs.  The tree branches are covered with green buds ready to burst into life.  The grass has shed it's yellow/brown pallor in favor of a lovely emerald.  The air is warm and breezy.  It's all so lovely except for one thing.  The bugs. Because of our nearly uninhabitable climate during the winter months, we don't see many bugs from late October through early April.  I almost forget how much I hate them until they come back.  And they know I hate them so they taunt me.  Ever since the thermometer hit the 60 degree mark, we've had flies congregating around the back porch.  I can't sit out there and enjoy my morning coffee without having them buzz past me. Now, flies I hate, but spiders I absolutely loathe.  Friday morning I walked into the bathroom to dry my hair and spotted what I thought was a bumble ...

It's Wednesday, Welcome Back To The Cocktail Party!

Welcome to Willoughby's Blog Style Cocktail Party. I hope you will find some new blogs to follow and expand your circle of blog friends. I know you're all anxious to mingle, so I'll get right to it. I'd like to introduce Deidra from Jumping Tandem .  I know you'll enjoy her blog as much as I do. Keeping It Real.... Deidra I'm an East Coast girl living in the midwest because I love my husband (I call him "H" around here) and his work brought us here. We have been blessed with two amazing children (currently in college) and an empty nest that I absolutely love! Don't get me wrong, I love my kids but they're destined to change the world and they can't do that living under my roof (although they're welcome back anytime for love, prayers, support, encouragement, and of course homecooked meals and clean laundry). Did I mention that H is a pastor? So that makes me the pastor's wife - but don't let that blur your vision. H is...

It's Time For A Giveaway!

I am excited to announce that Novica has, once again given me a $50 gift card to award to one lucky winner.  If you're not familiar with Novica , they work in association with National Geographic to bring the work of talented artists and artisans around the globe to the rest of the world via the internet. Shopping their website is a unique experience as you can view information about each artist along with the works they create.  It gives each item a very personal feeling.  In the Keepers Of The Arts section, you can watch videos of the artists at work. I love Novica so much that I could go on and on telling you how wonderful their website is, what great customer service they have and, especially, how talented the artisans are, but it would be much more fun for you to see for yourself.  Before you head over there, though, let me give you a sneak peak of some of the wonderful things you'll discover (and maybe help you find some unique Christmas gifts). Wool...