Skip to main content

Happy, Happy, Happy

Why am I so happy? Because my daughter and I just came back from shopping. We didn't go anywhere exciting, just the supermarket, but we had fun. Also, we got flowers! Wanna see?




Here's one of the topiary gardenias. I bought two of these. The plastic pots they came in will soon be history because Mr. Willoughby and I will be making planter boxes for them this weekend (I'll be blogging each step of the process in case you want to make some, too). My plan is to have them flanking the back porch steps. It was a challenge driving home with these beauties. I drive an SUV and they were too tall to put in the back without laying them down. Instead I put them behind the driver's seat. They started to tip over onto my daughter (she couldn't reach far enough to hold them up with her seat belt on) so I had to drive all the way home from the store with one hand behind my back holding them upright.


And I couldn't pass up this sweet deal. Ten tulips for $1.33! I bought a pink bunch and a purple bunch and put them in the new pitcher I got at the flea market on Sunday.



The stems are a little limp, but they still look pretty sitting on a glass top table next to my fish votive holder. He's from the flea market, too. I got him last year. He's made of iron and weighs about 5 pounds. Here's a closer look.

He has an opening on his underside where you can insert a candle. The wind blows it out pretty easily, but on calm nights he looks really cool. We spend most of our time on the back porch when the weather is nice and I love having flowers and candles all over the place. I'll give you a tour in an upcoming blog.
Happy, happy, happy!

Comments

Unknown said…
A perfect use for your water pitcher. They look lovely! Also I love the fish...I want the fish...I covet the fish! LOL! He's cute. I can't wait to read about the gardenias as I heard they can be quite difficult.
BashfulToast said…
Aww. pretty pretty! I missed out on an adventure to Kroger? aww man! I miss you and mallory! And its only been two days! lol. Dont worry though ill probably be over tomorrow!=]
Purple Flowers said…
I love that fish; he's adorable. And the topiary's - just make sure you keep them watered. The soil should be moist through to the bottom, but not soaked. That will rot it.
Hint for those pretty tulips. Snip the bottoms on a slant, and that creates a better way for them to soak in the water.
Enjoy all your goodies!!! :)
Lissaloo said…
The flowers look so pretty in your new vase! :) Can't wait to see the planter boxes :)
Raoulysgirl said…
I so wish that I had a green thumb...I do NOT!!! My sister, however, does...and enjoys playing in the dirt. Guess who comes across the street and sweetly cares for my flowers??? MY SISTER!!! She even did it when we didn't live so close...but it's much easier for her now...and keeps my yard pretty, too!!!
Donna-FFW said…
All the flowers look so pretty.. great bargains too. I just bought a hibiscus tree yesterday, they are my favorite.. so pretty.
thamesarino said…
yay for spring!
I LOVE flowers and gardening.. in fact we just got our whole veggie garden done...sooo exciting!
I also think the fish is awesome!
I'm really interested in the planter boxes... good luck! : )

Popular posts from this blog

Bugging Out

Spring is such a wonderful time of year.  The birds have returned and greet each morning with their lovely songs.  The tree branches are covered with green buds ready to burst into life.  The grass has shed it's yellow/brown pallor in favor of a lovely emerald.  The air is warm and breezy.  It's all so lovely except for one thing.  The bugs. Because of our nearly uninhabitable climate during the winter months, we don't see many bugs from late October through early April.  I almost forget how much I hate them until they come back.  And they know I hate them so they taunt me.  Ever since the thermometer hit the 60 degree mark, we've had flies congregating around the back porch.  I can't sit out there and enjoy my morning coffee without having them buzz past me. Now, flies I hate, but spiders I absolutely loathe.  Friday morning I walked into the bathroom to dry my hair and spotted what I thought was a bumble ...

It's Wednesday, Welcome Back To The Cocktail Party!

Welcome to Willoughby's Blog Style Cocktail Party. I hope you will find some new blogs to follow and expand your circle of blog friends. I know you're all anxious to mingle, so I'll get right to it. I'd like to introduce Deidra from Jumping Tandem .  I know you'll enjoy her blog as much as I do. Keeping It Real.... Deidra I'm an East Coast girl living in the midwest because I love my husband (I call him "H" around here) and his work brought us here. We have been blessed with two amazing children (currently in college) and an empty nest that I absolutely love! Don't get me wrong, I love my kids but they're destined to change the world and they can't do that living under my roof (although they're welcome back anytime for love, prayers, support, encouragement, and of course homecooked meals and clean laundry). Did I mention that H is a pastor? So that makes me the pastor's wife - but don't let that blur your vision. H is...

It's Time For A Giveaway!

I am excited to announce that Novica has, once again given me a $50 gift card to award to one lucky winner.  If you're not familiar with Novica , they work in association with National Geographic to bring the work of talented artists and artisans around the globe to the rest of the world via the internet. Shopping their website is a unique experience as you can view information about each artist along with the works they create.  It gives each item a very personal feeling.  In the Keepers Of The Arts section, you can watch videos of the artists at work. I love Novica so much that I could go on and on telling you how wonderful their website is, what great customer service they have and, especially, how talented the artisans are, but it would be much more fun for you to see for yourself.  Before you head over there, though, let me give you a sneak peak of some of the wonderful things you'll discover (and maybe help you find some unique Christmas gifts). Wool...