Skip to main content

Unwelcome

It's not quite summer yet, but it sure feels like it. The weather is warm, the flowers are blooming, the birds are singing and the salesmen/women are back to knocking on doors. I don't care if I'm in the middle of cooking dinner or just sitting around doing nothing, it irritates me to go to the door to find a salesperson.

We live in a small town where most of the homes are older, so home improvement companies are always in the area knocking on doors and handing out fliers. I can't tell you how many times we have been offered a free estimate on replacing our siding (which is old) or our windows (which are new).

In 1996, a few months after we moved into our house, a pair of vacuum cleaner salespeople knocked on the door. They wanted to come in and give me a demonstration of their product. They also had a free gift for me to keep just for agreeing to the demo. The free gift was steak knives. Call me overly cautious, but the idea of letting strangers with sharp knives into my house didn't seem like a good idea. Does anyone actually buy vacuum cleaners this way anymore? I told them it was 1996, not 1946 and sent them on their way.

I answered the door one day to find a man on my porch holding a clip board, obviously selling something. He grabbed my hand and shook it, but wouldn't let go. He insisted on holding my hand while he gave me his pitch. I was very uncomfortable with it and told him to let go of me and get off my porch. He finally did, but I was pretty shaken by it. I told my husband about it when he came home and he was furious. A little while later the man walked past the house again and Mr. Willoughby confronted him. He told the man he was going to call the police. The guy apologized and claimed that was his aggressive selling style.

Since then we've been visited by solicitors selling cleaning products, lawn care services, wireless fencing, tree trimming, magazines and books, to name a few. I finally put a "No Soliciting" sign on the door, but that doesn't deter all of them. I'm amazed at how many salesmen think that doesn't apply to them and what they're selling. Sometimes I just don't answer the door.

I saw a door mat in a catalog once that said "Go Away". I'm thinking about getting one. Better yet, I'll get a few dozen and sell them door to door!

Comments

Donna-FFW said…
That is really freaky about the hand holding man.. Creep!

LOVE the idea of going door to door with that sign.. funny!
Lissaloo said…
I always peek & if I don't know who they are, or they are holding any pamphlets or clipboards I sometimes just don't answer the door. It was really bad right before elections.
Purple Flowers said…
Nowadays, I take a look before opening up the door. Too many unwelcome visitors walking around.
Love the idea of selling your mat -to them!
Unknown said…
In our neighborhood flyers are placed in our mail box circulars. It would irritate me to no end if every one leaving a flyer rang my doorbell! I've told the kids NEVER to open the door to anyone they don't know. I finally stopped the religious proslytizers (sp) from ringing my doorbell by engaging them in serious religious debate. Ha! Haven't seen 'em since!
Chicago Mom said…
I never answer the door for salespeople, but I always peek through the curtain to see who it is. Sometimes the neighborhood kids are selling GS cookies and I don't want to miss that!
L.B. said…
So the salesmen can't drop in and stay awhile?

They bug me too. I always keep my garage door closed during the day, otherwise they all stop. Chumps.

Popular posts from this blog

Bugging Out

Spring is such a wonderful time of year.  The birds have returned and greet each morning with their lovely songs.  The tree branches are covered with green buds ready to burst into life.  The grass has shed it's yellow/brown pallor in favor of a lovely emerald.  The air is warm and breezy.  It's all so lovely except for one thing.  The bugs. Because of our nearly uninhabitable climate during the winter months, we don't see many bugs from late October through early April.  I almost forget how much I hate them until they come back.  And they know I hate them so they taunt me.  Ever since the thermometer hit the 60 degree mark, we've had flies congregating around the back porch.  I can't sit out there and enjoy my morning coffee without having them buzz past me. Now, flies I hate, but spiders I absolutely loathe.  Friday morning I walked into the bathroom to dry my hair and spotted what I thought was a bumble ...

It's Wednesday, Welcome Back To The Cocktail Party!

Welcome to Willoughby's Blog Style Cocktail Party. I hope you will find some new blogs to follow and expand your circle of blog friends. I know you're all anxious to mingle, so I'll get right to it. I'd like to introduce Deidra from Jumping Tandem .  I know you'll enjoy her blog as much as I do. Keeping It Real.... Deidra I'm an East Coast girl living in the midwest because I love my husband (I call him "H" around here) and his work brought us here. We have been blessed with two amazing children (currently in college) and an empty nest that I absolutely love! Don't get me wrong, I love my kids but they're destined to change the world and they can't do that living under my roof (although they're welcome back anytime for love, prayers, support, encouragement, and of course homecooked meals and clean laundry). Did I mention that H is a pastor? So that makes me the pastor's wife - but don't let that blur your vision. H is...

It's Time For A Giveaway!

I am excited to announce that Novica has, once again given me a $50 gift card to award to one lucky winner.  If you're not familiar with Novica , they work in association with National Geographic to bring the work of talented artists and artisans around the globe to the rest of the world via the internet. Shopping their website is a unique experience as you can view information about each artist along with the works they create.  It gives each item a very personal feeling.  In the Keepers Of The Arts section, you can watch videos of the artists at work. I love Novica so much that I could go on and on telling you how wonderful their website is, what great customer service they have and, especially, how talented the artisans are, but it would be much more fun for you to see for yourself.  Before you head over there, though, let me give you a sneak peak of some of the wonderful things you'll discover (and maybe help you find some unique Christmas gifts). Wool...