Skip to main content

Nuder?

Words fascinate me. I enjoy everything about them. I love reading, writing and especially word puzzles. I've even developed a habit (obsession) with finding anagrams in written words.

This morning I was playing an online anagram game and one of the words that came up was nuder (not to be confused with neuter). This word is real head scratcher for me. Doesn't the word nude mean to be unclothed? How, exactly, can one person be more nude than another? I thought I might be overlooking another definition so I looked it up on an online dictionary site. It was listed as an adjective for nude. It stands to reason, then, that if one could be nuder, one could be nakeder, don't you think? No such luck. The next time you visit a nude beach or resort, it might be helpful to know that some sun bathers may be nuder than others, but certainly not nakeder.

While you are visiting this nude resort, could you call yourself a nudiustertian? Probably not. The word nudiustertian means pertaining to the day before yesterday. So if you were talking about being nuder the day before yesterday, you could use it. Exactly how much time are you spending at this nude resort, anyway?

Let's move on to absquatulate. Doesn't that sound like something you should do behind a bush while camping? As in "I don't think the roasted hot dogs agreed with me, I've got to find a place to absquatulate". In reality it means to flee or depart in a hurry, which you may need to do if the hot dogs aren't setting well.

Could you tell someone that you needed to madefy your hallux without blushing? It does sound rather suggestive, but it means to moisten (madefy) your big toe (hallux). Of course, why would you need to moisten your big toe? I'll leave that for you to decide.

Spanghew is another word that leaves me wondering. It means to cause a frog or toad to fly up in the air. Does this happen so frequently that it needed a special word to describe it? Perhaps there is a place where it's a common occurrence and it became easier to point and yell "spanghew!" than to say "look at that frog or toad being caused to fly up in the air!". Who knows?

Do you know anyone who is a omphalopsychite? If you do, they probably spend a lot of time in the bathroom. An omphalopsychite is a person who contemplates their navel. That's a hobby I really don't want to know any more about.

I'll be back tonight to open the bar, try not to develop dipsomania (an uncontrollable craving for alcohol). Until then, see how many of these words you can use in conversation!

Comments

Chicago Mom said…
That was really funny! You certainly have a way with words - what a terrific post!
Unknown said…
Okay...that made my brain hurt, what with everything else that's going on right now. I'll have to sit down and re-read your post when I'm not in a hurry to head out to work!
ChristineM said…
LOL! I always get a kick out of the "verifications" you have to type in, like when you post comments on blogs....sometimes they're real, and sometimes they're made up (or I'm just really vocabulary-challenged!)
ChristineM said…
Like just now - "motter". Is that "one who motts"? And what's "mott"? Oh see, now you have ME going!! ;)

Popular posts from this blog

Bugging Out

Spring is such a wonderful time of year.  The birds have returned and greet each morning with their lovely songs.  The tree branches are covered with green buds ready to burst into life.  The grass has shed it's yellow/brown pallor in favor of a lovely emerald.  The air is warm and breezy.  It's all so lovely except for one thing.  The bugs. Because of our nearly uninhabitable climate during the winter months, we don't see many bugs from late October through early April.  I almost forget how much I hate them until they come back.  And they know I hate them so they taunt me.  Ever since the thermometer hit the 60 degree mark, we've had flies congregating around the back porch.  I can't sit out there and enjoy my morning coffee without having them buzz past me. Now, flies I hate, but spiders I absolutely loathe.  Friday morning I walked into the bathroom to dry my hair and spotted what I thought was a bumble ...

It's Wednesday, Welcome Back To The Cocktail Party!

Welcome to Willoughby's Blog Style Cocktail Party. I hope you will find some new blogs to follow and expand your circle of blog friends. I know you're all anxious to mingle, so I'll get right to it. I'd like to introduce Deidra from Jumping Tandem .  I know you'll enjoy her blog as much as I do. Keeping It Real.... Deidra I'm an East Coast girl living in the midwest because I love my husband (I call him "H" around here) and his work brought us here. We have been blessed with two amazing children (currently in college) and an empty nest that I absolutely love! Don't get me wrong, I love my kids but they're destined to change the world and they can't do that living under my roof (although they're welcome back anytime for love, prayers, support, encouragement, and of course homecooked meals and clean laundry). Did I mention that H is a pastor? So that makes me the pastor's wife - but don't let that blur your vision. H is...

It's Time For A Giveaway!

I am excited to announce that Novica has, once again given me a $50 gift card to award to one lucky winner.  If you're not familiar with Novica , they work in association with National Geographic to bring the work of talented artists and artisans around the globe to the rest of the world via the internet. Shopping their website is a unique experience as you can view information about each artist along with the works they create.  It gives each item a very personal feeling.  In the Keepers Of The Arts section, you can watch videos of the artists at work. I love Novica so much that I could go on and on telling you how wonderful their website is, what great customer service they have and, especially, how talented the artisans are, but it would be much more fun for you to see for yourself.  Before you head over there, though, let me give you a sneak peak of some of the wonderful things you'll discover (and maybe help you find some unique Christmas gifts). Wool...