Skip to main content

Reset

A few years ago I had a severe case of the stomach flu. For nearly a week, I had nothing but small sips of liquid. My husband took over the cooking and would make dinner for he and the kids and would heat up a can of soup for me, but I couldn't even stand the smell of food.

When the flu finally passed and my appetite began to return, I had a very specific list of foods that appealed to me. Among them were blueberries, cherries, pretzels, salad with cherry tomatoes and turkey sandwiches on multi-grain bread with sliced tomato. I also wanted ice cold apple juice. Mr. Willoughby went to the grocery store and got all of them for me.

At first, I could only eat a few bites at a time, but eventually I could tolerate regular portions. That's when a funny thing happened. I started to feel really good. Not just in comparison to how I felt when I had the flu, but even better than I had felt before I had gotten sick. I felt energetic and healthy. Looking at the list, it's not hard to see why. It's a pretty balanced diet, except for the lack of dairy products. It almost seems that my body craved exactly what it needed or reset itself.

I wonder if that's the secret to looking good and feeling healthy. Could it be that if you listen hard enough, your body will tell you what it needs? If that's the case, I hope there are some yet undiscovered health benefits to chocolate chip cookies!

Comments

Chicago Mom said…
Perhaps that is what those cleansing diets achieve at the fancy spas. :)
Unknown said…
Funny how things work out. What at 1st seems like a misfortune actually turns into something good! I'm lovin' your diet choices.
Purple Flowers said…
It seems like your body did its own cleansing, and rid you of toxins etc., which is why you felt so much better. And probably more energetic too. It is a rough road, but the after effects are really good! Now, how can we fit in chocolate?
Willoughby said…
Chicago Mom - You're probably right!

5th - I wouldn't want to have the flu again, but you're right, I did feel so much better afterward. If only I could have stuck to those foods!

Purple Flowers - I never really thought about it that way, but you're probably right. It was like the "cleansing" some people do before starting a new eating plan. Eventually I went back to my old eating habits, though I wish I hadn't. I'm with you on the chocolate! Can't live without it at least once in a while!
Donna-FFW said…
I am a believer in that.. you do crave what your body needs at times.. for instance..water.

However I am constantly craving chocolate, carrot cake, and bloody marys..whats that about?

Popular posts from this blog

Bugging Out

Spring is such a wonderful time of year.  The birds have returned and greet each morning with their lovely songs.  The tree branches are covered with green buds ready to burst into life.  The grass has shed it's yellow/brown pallor in favor of a lovely emerald.  The air is warm and breezy.  It's all so lovely except for one thing.  The bugs. Because of our nearly uninhabitable climate during the winter months, we don't see many bugs from late October through early April.  I almost forget how much I hate them until they come back.  And they know I hate them so they taunt me.  Ever since the thermometer hit the 60 degree mark, we've had flies congregating around the back porch.  I can't sit out there and enjoy my morning coffee without having them buzz past me. Now, flies I hate, but spiders I absolutely loathe.  Friday morning I walked into the bathroom to dry my hair and spotted what I thought was a bumble ...

It's Wednesday, Welcome Back To The Cocktail Party!

Welcome to Willoughby's Blog Style Cocktail Party. I hope you will find some new blogs to follow and expand your circle of blog friends. I know you're all anxious to mingle, so I'll get right to it. I'd like to introduce Deidra from Jumping Tandem .  I know you'll enjoy her blog as much as I do. Keeping It Real.... Deidra I'm an East Coast girl living in the midwest because I love my husband (I call him "H" around here) and his work brought us here. We have been blessed with two amazing children (currently in college) and an empty nest that I absolutely love! Don't get me wrong, I love my kids but they're destined to change the world and they can't do that living under my roof (although they're welcome back anytime for love, prayers, support, encouragement, and of course homecooked meals and clean laundry). Did I mention that H is a pastor? So that makes me the pastor's wife - but don't let that blur your vision. H is...

It's Time For A Giveaway!

I am excited to announce that Novica has, once again given me a $50 gift card to award to one lucky winner.  If you're not familiar with Novica , they work in association with National Geographic to bring the work of talented artists and artisans around the globe to the rest of the world via the internet. Shopping their website is a unique experience as you can view information about each artist along with the works they create.  It gives each item a very personal feeling.  In the Keepers Of The Arts section, you can watch videos of the artists at work. I love Novica so much that I could go on and on telling you how wonderful their website is, what great customer service they have and, especially, how talented the artisans are, but it would be much more fun for you to see for yourself.  Before you head over there, though, let me give you a sneak peak of some of the wonderful things you'll discover (and maybe help you find some unique Christmas gifts). Wool...