Skip to main content

Bertha Who? And Sunday Brunch With A Shout Out

I was telling the kids, recently, that I used to live down the street from a girl named Bertha. I was about four years old at the time and Bertha was a teenager. I didn't really know her, but I knew her name. I remember that, when she walked by, my friends and I would say "Bertha, Bertha Butt, she's one of the Butt Sisters" and she would laugh, but I never knew why. When I told this story to the kids, they thought it was hysterical.

Last night, my son decided to search the "Bertha saying" on Google to see what would come up. To his surprise and mine, it was part of the lyrics to a song by the Jimmy Castor Bunch. There's even a video. Of course, Mr. Willoughby, who I swear knows every song ever written, knew it right away and could have solved this mystery had I told him the story.





I can only assume that the older kids starting quoting this song and my friends and I picked it up from them, because I don't think I was listening this kind of music when I was four. Do you remember this song?


Sunday Brunch


We don't have a chance to have a family breakfast together very often, so we love to have Sunday Brunch when we can. We don't worry too much about fat, calories, sodium or cholesterol since we don't eat like this every day.

On today's menu was bacon, Breakfast Potatoes, and omelets. I cooked the bacon and potatoes, and Mr. Willoughby made bacon and cheese omelets as well as crab stuffed omelets. He makes the most delicious, beautiful omelets so I always leave this job to him.


The recipe for the breakfast potatoes came from Rachel's blog at Rachel vs. "The Kitchen". If you haven't been to Rachel's blog lately, you need to check it out. She has amazing recipes. The potatoes were extremely easy and incredibly delicious. The only change I made to the recipe was to substitute a little bit of bacon grease for the olive oil. Thanks for the great recipe, Rachel!

Comments

Unknown said…
Of course I remember Bertha Butt, one of the Butt sisters. My brother and I would have giggle fits whenever the song came on the radio! It was one of those silly novelty songs from the 70's.
Lissaloo said…
What a funny song, lol. I want to come have breakfast at your house, yummy :)
BashfulToast said…
Bertha, Bertha butt she's one of the butt sisters!! Haha i'll never forget it!! And breakfast was awesome.
Kathy said…
Thanks for the shout out for Rachel vs. the Kitchen! It led me to several other food blogs. I get so tired of making the same food over and over!
Rachel said…
Thank you so much for the shout out! I'm so glad you enjoyed the breakfast potatoes! I was just taking a minute to glance over your blog (I'm a bit behind on checking/posting) and several things are catching my eye! Take care and thank you again! I very much enjoy your blog, as well!!!

Popular posts from this blog

Bugging Out

Spring is such a wonderful time of year.  The birds have returned and greet each morning with their lovely songs.  The tree branches are covered with green buds ready to burst into life.  The grass has shed it's yellow/brown pallor in favor of a lovely emerald.  The air is warm and breezy.  It's all so lovely except for one thing.  The bugs. Because of our nearly uninhabitable climate during the winter months, we don't see many bugs from late October through early April.  I almost forget how much I hate them until they come back.  And they know I hate them so they taunt me.  Ever since the thermometer hit the 60 degree mark, we've had flies congregating around the back porch.  I can't sit out there and enjoy my morning coffee without having them buzz past me. Now, flies I hate, but spiders I absolutely loathe.  Friday morning I walked into the bathroom to dry my hair and spotted what I thought was a bumble ...

It's Wednesday, Welcome Back To The Cocktail Party!

Welcome to Willoughby's Blog Style Cocktail Party. I hope you will find some new blogs to follow and expand your circle of blog friends. I know you're all anxious to mingle, so I'll get right to it. I'd like to introduce Deidra from Jumping Tandem .  I know you'll enjoy her blog as much as I do. Keeping It Real.... Deidra I'm an East Coast girl living in the midwest because I love my husband (I call him "H" around here) and his work brought us here. We have been blessed with two amazing children (currently in college) and an empty nest that I absolutely love! Don't get me wrong, I love my kids but they're destined to change the world and they can't do that living under my roof (although they're welcome back anytime for love, prayers, support, encouragement, and of course homecooked meals and clean laundry). Did I mention that H is a pastor? So that makes me the pastor's wife - but don't let that blur your vision. H is...

It's Time For A Giveaway!

I am excited to announce that Novica has, once again given me a $50 gift card to award to one lucky winner.  If you're not familiar with Novica , they work in association with National Geographic to bring the work of talented artists and artisans around the globe to the rest of the world via the internet. Shopping their website is a unique experience as you can view information about each artist along with the works they create.  It gives each item a very personal feeling.  In the Keepers Of The Arts section, you can watch videos of the artists at work. I love Novica so much that I could go on and on telling you how wonderful their website is, what great customer service they have and, especially, how talented the artisans are, but it would be much more fun for you to see for yourself.  Before you head over there, though, let me give you a sneak peak of some of the wonderful things you'll discover (and maybe help you find some unique Christmas gifts). Wool...