Skip to main content

Willoughby's Donut Shop

Last week, I told you that Mr. Willoughby and I like to try new recipes together.  This morning, we decided to try making homemade donuts.  We prefer cake donuts to raised donuts, so we used this recipe.  They were easy and delicious and it didn't take much longer than a trip to the donut shop.  We got 13 donuts, or a baker's dozen,  plus a bunch of little donut holes out of one batch.  We did alter the recipe a bit by leaving out the cinnamon and nutmeg because we wanted to add a variety of toppings to the end product. 


As you can see, we coated some with cinnamon sugar, some with a chocolate glaze and left a few plain.   We used our deep fryer, but I'm sure you could improvise with a deep pan, a few inches of oil and a candy thermometer.

Our son liked them so much he thought we should go into business selling them.  Willoughby's Donut Shop?  I like the sound of that!


Willoughby

Comments

Lissaloo said…
I like the sound of that too! I will take a dozen assorted please! :)
Matty said…
Yum. I prefer cake donuts over the raised too. Those chocolate frosted ones? OMG. I think we will try this too.
How much fun...donut making at Christmastime..they look so good..I would love to have a plain one with my tea this morning....

And Yes! A Donut Shop.....I would LOVE to run a donut shop....

Have a cozy Sunday...

Kary
xxx
Purple Flowers said…
Those donuts look terrific! Are you ready for the donut business?!
:)
Heidi said…
Yum! I love donuts. The only ones i tried making at home use a canned biscuit.
thamesarino said…
oh man, I wish I hadn't read this post! I have been having the WORST sweet tooth ALL.DAY.LONG!!!
now fresh donuts are added to my list of desires I can't fullfill!
They look so yummy!
I wish we had a deep fryer... but then I would use it all the time... and that would be bad for my ever expanding waistline I guess!! : )
Tracie said…
I have been wanting to make these for a long time. My grandma and I used to do it years ago.
Unknown said…
What lovely donuts! Even though I'm stuffed to the gills, I could make room for one or two of them!
We love to cook and bake in our family 9we're actually planning on opening a bakery next year) but we have never made homemade donuts. I remember an attempt at my house growing up...the result was OK but not inspiring. Yours look great!
Raoulysgirl said…
Would you send some to your friend Christi?

Pretty please?????????

I love donuts and those look wonderful!!!
Meals by Misty said…
Donuts! So impressive! I've never made anything like this before. I like the cake donuts too. I am wishing I had one right now, one covered in an orange glaze. When I was a little girl, my dad would take me to the local donut place before church and we would get donut holes and orange juice. Yum Yum.
Joanna Jenkins said…
My mouth is watering looking at those yummy donuts! I'll take a dozen of the chocolate one please :-)

xo
Attila the Mom said…
Oh wow, those look just fabulous!!

I just wanted to drop by and thank you for all of your kind words of support during our crisis. Taking the time to check on us really helped keep us sane and I can't tell you how much we appreciate it.

Happy Holidays to you and yours.

ATM
Unknown said…
even though you are probably still on a sugar rush, I have some "sugar" for you over at my blog. Come by to pick it up!
L.B. said…
I am in awe. That looks so delicious!
Oh my gosh those look heavenly...and professional, too! I do think you could open your own shop!
Betty Manousos said…
How much i love chocolate donuts.
Those look devine!
hugs hugs
elvira pajarola said…
.....I am certain I DO KNOW a Place where you would have an immense success selling your sooooo delicious looking donuts!!!!
Just jump onto a plain and come over....!!!!
( and I do believe your son's judgement about the deliciousness of this golden donuts.....)
...
I'll try the recipe 100% and tell you then about my son's judgements...ok?)

have a wonderful week!
ciao elvira
Jennie said…
One of these would be great with my coffee right now! They look delicious!
Those are gorgeous! I would like to try to make some but then I would eat them...like my butt needs to be any bigger!
Thank you for stopping by and leaving the kind words for Buddy...it means alot..


kary and buddy
xxx
Unknown said…
The donuts look delicious and are so well done! Maybe you should open a donut shop, the name sounds perfect! You'll be the next "Krispy Kreme"!
Jenn Erickson said…
Doughnuts are my greatest weakness and you're look positively professional and divine!
Oh yummy! My daughter would love for me to make doughnuts ~ yours look so good!!
OMG, those look amazing. Totally want to give homemade donuts a whirl now!
sanjeet said…
Those chocolate frosted ones? OMG. I think we will try this too.

Work from home India

Popular posts from this blog

Bugging Out

Spring is such a wonderful time of year.  The birds have returned and greet each morning with their lovely songs.  The tree branches are covered with green buds ready to burst into life.  The grass has shed it's yellow/brown pallor in favor of a lovely emerald.  The air is warm and breezy.  It's all so lovely except for one thing.  The bugs. Because of our nearly uninhabitable climate during the winter months, we don't see many bugs from late October through early April.  I almost forget how much I hate them until they come back.  And they know I hate them so they taunt me.  Ever since the thermometer hit the 60 degree mark, we've had flies congregating around the back porch.  I can't sit out there and enjoy my morning coffee without having them buzz past me. Now, flies I hate, but spiders I absolutely loathe.  Friday morning I walked into the bathroom to dry my hair and spotted what I thought was a bumble ...

It's Wednesday, Welcome Back To The Cocktail Party!

Welcome to Willoughby's Blog Style Cocktail Party. I hope you will find some new blogs to follow and expand your circle of blog friends. I know you're all anxious to mingle, so I'll get right to it. I'd like to introduce Deidra from Jumping Tandem .  I know you'll enjoy her blog as much as I do. Keeping It Real.... Deidra I'm an East Coast girl living in the midwest because I love my husband (I call him "H" around here) and his work brought us here. We have been blessed with two amazing children (currently in college) and an empty nest that I absolutely love! Don't get me wrong, I love my kids but they're destined to change the world and they can't do that living under my roof (although they're welcome back anytime for love, prayers, support, encouragement, and of course homecooked meals and clean laundry). Did I mention that H is a pastor? So that makes me the pastor's wife - but don't let that blur your vision. H is...

It's Time For A Giveaway!

I am excited to announce that Novica has, once again given me a $50 gift card to award to one lucky winner.  If you're not familiar with Novica , they work in association with National Geographic to bring the work of talented artists and artisans around the globe to the rest of the world via the internet. Shopping their website is a unique experience as you can view information about each artist along with the works they create.  It gives each item a very personal feeling.  In the Keepers Of The Arts section, you can watch videos of the artists at work. I love Novica so much that I could go on and on telling you how wonderful their website is, what great customer service they have and, especially, how talented the artisans are, but it would be much more fun for you to see for yourself.  Before you head over there, though, let me give you a sneak peak of some of the wonderful things you'll discover (and maybe help you find some unique Christmas gifts). Wool...