Skip to main content

It Doesn't Sound As Funny Once You're Used To It

The other day, Mr. Willoughby said "I miss your blog."  You know what?  I do, too.  So here I am.

It Doesn't Sound As Funny Once You're Used To It

When you've lived some place for a while, you get used to the names of cities, towns and streets around you.  Even the most ridiculous names become commonplace and you stop noticing how funny they really sound.  Even if it's just a simple case of mispronunciation.

I live in Michigan and my little town has a perfectly normal name.  Nothing funny about it at all.  Same goes for the street I live on.  But if you go to the edge of town, you'll run into a road called "Gratiot".  If you're not from this area, you may not know how to pronounce that name.  Phonetically, it's pronounced "Grash-it", but if you're giving directions over the phone, it often comes across as "Grass Shit". 


Now if you go north of my little town, you will eventually run into the town of Port Huron (we'll get to the humor behind that in a minute).  On the way, you will pass a street called  "Ankrapp".  I have no idea of the proper pronunciation, but whenever I hear someone mention it, it always sounds like "Ann Crap".

Back to Port Huron.  If you say it correctly, there's nothing funny about it, but, people with a more pronounced Michigan accent tend to say something closer to "Port Hurin" which comes across as "Port Urine" or (even worse, in my opinion) "Porch Urine".  I always wonder what happens when people who say it that way go on vacation.  In a casual conversation with other tourists: "So where in Michigan are you from?"  "We've lived in Porch Urine for the last 20 years."  Nice.

I used to work in a big office building that was located on a street called "Big Beaver".  No, I'm not kidding.  When I was a legal assistant, part of my job was scheduling depositions, so I was constantly giving out the address.  I can't tell you how many times I had to repeat and then spell the name of the street.  Everyone thought they had heard me wrong because, surely, no one would name a street "Big Beaver".


And just to make it a little more fun, we had a sculpture of a huge head in front of the building (again, not kidding).  Giving out directions sounded something like this: "When you get off the expressway, go east on Big Beaver until you see the building with the giant head."   Some people would ask if it was a human head or a beaver's head.  It was a human head.   I know you're curious, so here it is.


If you should, by any chance, be planning a trip to Michigan and you want to see more than Grass Shit, Ann Crap, Porch Urine, a Big Beaver and a huge head, you can just go to Hell.  Really, you can. 


There's a city named Hell, Michigan.  It's about 40 miles away from Eden.  I couldn't make this stuff up if I wanted to.
 
Willoughby

*All photos courtesy of Google Images.

Comments

Unknown said…
LOL! Can't stop chuckling! Great back to blogging post, Su!
L.B. said…
Love it!

Awesome post, classic Willoughby.
ChristineM said…
Great post! Thanks for the laughs!
Clarity said…
Oh this is so naughty! The law office address: hilarious. Reminds me of this early Eastwood movie he directed. The girl (actress) came from a small town called Intercourse, but you could only get there by way of Faithful.
Betty Manousos said…
Good to have you back!
Welcome home!
I really enjoyed this post!
Thanks for the giggles :)
Lisa said…
LOL! I had such a laugh reading this! I wish the area near me had some funny streets and city names to giggle at...maybe I just need to be more aware!
Matty said…
You've returned in classic form. Welcome back.
Joanna Jenkins said…
Hey Willoughby, Great to see you back.

Your post cracked me up. I've heard of a few of these places and I still laugh when I hear it.

Hope your summer is going well.

Cheers,
jj
Jenn Erickson said…
Wow! And I thought that Lancaster County in PA had cornered the market on street signs and city names that make you blush when you say them! Loved learning about these gems from Michigan!

I decided to go through my list of "followers" today and pay a visit to let you know how thankful I am for your friendship, fellowship and followship! xoxo, Jenn
Bill Lisleman said…
Over a year ago, I posted a story about Butt Hole Road - no joke
http://afcsoac.blogspot.com/2009/06/short-bits-of-odd-news.html

I've heard about Hell MI every winter about the time of the first freeze.

Those other names are funny but I would have thought anyone would say Port Huron that way.

Speaking of misunderstanding words - did you see Mrs. 4444 post about the misunderstood song lyrics - LMAO type of post.

thanks
Chicago Mom said…
Great post, very funny!
I wonder how often that Hell sign gets stolen. There is recreational area near here called Bong and the sign says Bong Recreational Area and that sign gets stolen a LOT.
Tracie said…
LOL! I'm glad you're back.

There is a Looneyville very close to my hometown.
glad you're back...

cute post

i have missed you, my friend

kary and teddy
xxx
Kerrie said…
Hahaha! We have some funny towns in Washington, too. My favorite is Sequim (skwim). Puyallup is pretty good, too: pee-all-up.

Popular posts from this blog

Bugging Out

Spring is such a wonderful time of year.  The birds have returned and greet each morning with their lovely songs.  The tree branches are covered with green buds ready to burst into life.  The grass has shed it's yellow/brown pallor in favor of a lovely emerald.  The air is warm and breezy.  It's all so lovely except for one thing.  The bugs. Because of our nearly uninhabitable climate during the winter months, we don't see many bugs from late October through early April.  I almost forget how much I hate them until they come back.  And they know I hate them so they taunt me.  Ever since the thermometer hit the 60 degree mark, we've had flies congregating around the back porch.  I can't sit out there and enjoy my morning coffee without having them buzz past me. Now, flies I hate, but spiders I absolutely loathe.  Friday morning I walked into the bathroom to dry my hair and spotted what I thought was a bumble ...

It's Wednesday, Welcome Back To The Cocktail Party!

Welcome to Willoughby's Blog Style Cocktail Party. I hope you will find some new blogs to follow and expand your circle of blog friends. I know you're all anxious to mingle, so I'll get right to it. I'd like to introduce Deidra from Jumping Tandem .  I know you'll enjoy her blog as much as I do. Keeping It Real.... Deidra I'm an East Coast girl living in the midwest because I love my husband (I call him "H" around here) and his work brought us here. We have been blessed with two amazing children (currently in college) and an empty nest that I absolutely love! Don't get me wrong, I love my kids but they're destined to change the world and they can't do that living under my roof (although they're welcome back anytime for love, prayers, support, encouragement, and of course homecooked meals and clean laundry). Did I mention that H is a pastor? So that makes me the pastor's wife - but don't let that blur your vision. H is...

It's Time For A Giveaway!

I am excited to announce that Novica has, once again given me a $50 gift card to award to one lucky winner.  If you're not familiar with Novica , they work in association with National Geographic to bring the work of talented artists and artisans around the globe to the rest of the world via the internet. Shopping their website is a unique experience as you can view information about each artist along with the works they create.  It gives each item a very personal feeling.  In the Keepers Of The Arts section, you can watch videos of the artists at work. I love Novica so much that I could go on and on telling you how wonderful their website is, what great customer service they have and, especially, how talented the artisans are, but it would be much more fun for you to see for yourself.  Before you head over there, though, let me give you a sneak peak of some of the wonderful things you'll discover (and maybe help you find some unique Christmas gifts). Wool...