Skip to main content

Am I So Out Of Touch That I Missed When Washing Your Hair Became Uncool?

While my husband and I were watching television a few nights ago, I noticed what I think is sort of an odd trend. We saw at least three different commercials for products that are meant to give you clean and/or frizz free hair for three days.  I've got to admit, I don't understand the concept.

This morning, I went to the website of one of these products and this is what it says, "When you don't wash, natural oils and impurities build up along the hair shaft, making strands look greasy and flat or dry and frizzy. This buildup weighs down your style and leaves hair feeling less than fresh and beautiful."  It also explains how the products work, "This unique collection is formulated with Mineral Clay to eliminate odor and remove buildup, Witch Hazel to absorb excess oil if your hair tends to be greasy, and Aloe Vera to rehydrate frizzy/dry hair. All of the products are infused with citrus extracts for ultimate refreshing benefits. Say hello to a fresh new day even when you skip shampooing!"  Their products come in four different forms: dry shampoo, creme, mist and foam. 

If you're trying to achieve fresh, beautiful hair, wouldn't it be just as easy to wash it with regular shampoo?   Having my hair look, feel and smell clean is important to me.  I can't recall a time that I thought to myself, "My hair is unclean. What can I do, other than wash it?"  If you're sick, bedridden or have no access to water, that's a different story.

I hope that shampoo (and clean hair, in general) isn't becoming uncool.  Personally, I love shampoo (and clean hair).  There are a few favorites that I buy most often, but my daughter and I have been known to spend twenty minutes or more smelling all of the different varieties at the store.  I especially like to smell the brands that cost $30 or more per bottle to see if they smell superior to the under $5 variety (to me they don't).

If shampoo does become uncool, what's next?  Dry showers with powdered soap?


Willoughby

Comments

Unknown said…
hee hee hee...dry showers with powdered soap. you're killing me here!
HA HA HA HA! ME TOO! Dry, powdered soap...do you think astronauts use them? here's a thought...how do THEY shower and wash their hair in zero gravity! I totally am in agreement though, I just LOVE when my hair is fresh, clean, shiny and smells wonderful! ;)
This Wife Cooks said…
My colorist has told me to only wash every three days or so. I can do every other day but, honestly, my hair never looks as good on the second day. P.S. Loving the image of dry showers!
Matty said…
I can't remember the last time I used shampoo. I wonder why.
Chicago Mom said…
I think that if you have hair extensions or colored hair you aren't supposed to wash every day, so maybe it is aimed toward them? I am with you, I love new shampoos and conditioners!
Holly Lefevre said…
I have long used baby powder for this effect. I mostly wash my hair every other day and that is to preserve color - the hair lady told me so! On that note, I love nothing more than the fresh clean scent of freshly washed hair - nothing beats it! Of course, I also grew up in the 8's when you had to wash all of that sticky gel out of your hair every night.
Joanna Jenkins said…
I'm with you Willoughby. Clean hair works for me and I wash it 4-5 times a week. But I know people who can go longer and still have nice looking hair. It's the folks who SHOULD be washing their hair and don't bother that really bug me ;-)
Cheers, jj

Popular posts from this blog

Bugging Out

Spring is such a wonderful time of year.  The birds have returned and greet each morning with their lovely songs.  The tree branches are covered with green buds ready to burst into life.  The grass has shed it's yellow/brown pallor in favor of a lovely emerald.  The air is warm and breezy.  It's all so lovely except for one thing.  The bugs. Because of our nearly uninhabitable climate during the winter months, we don't see many bugs from late October through early April.  I almost forget how much I hate them until they come back.  And they know I hate them so they taunt me.  Ever since the thermometer hit the 60 degree mark, we've had flies congregating around the back porch.  I can't sit out there and enjoy my morning coffee without having them buzz past me. Now, flies I hate, but spiders I absolutely loathe.  Friday morning I walked into the bathroom to dry my hair and spotted what I thought was a bumble ...

It's Wednesday, Welcome Back To The Cocktail Party!

Welcome to Willoughby's Blog Style Cocktail Party. I hope you will find some new blogs to follow and expand your circle of blog friends. I know you're all anxious to mingle, so I'll get right to it. I'd like to introduce Deidra from Jumping Tandem .  I know you'll enjoy her blog as much as I do. Keeping It Real.... Deidra I'm an East Coast girl living in the midwest because I love my husband (I call him "H" around here) and his work brought us here. We have been blessed with two amazing children (currently in college) and an empty nest that I absolutely love! Don't get me wrong, I love my kids but they're destined to change the world and they can't do that living under my roof (although they're welcome back anytime for love, prayers, support, encouragement, and of course homecooked meals and clean laundry). Did I mention that H is a pastor? So that makes me the pastor's wife - but don't let that blur your vision. H is...

It's Time For A Giveaway!

I am excited to announce that Novica has, once again given me a $50 gift card to award to one lucky winner.  If you're not familiar with Novica , they work in association with National Geographic to bring the work of talented artists and artisans around the globe to the rest of the world via the internet. Shopping their website is a unique experience as you can view information about each artist along with the works they create.  It gives each item a very personal feeling.  In the Keepers Of The Arts section, you can watch videos of the artists at work. I love Novica so much that I could go on and on telling you how wonderful their website is, what great customer service they have and, especially, how talented the artisans are, but it would be much more fun for you to see for yourself.  Before you head over there, though, let me give you a sneak peak of some of the wonderful things you'll discover (and maybe help you find some unique Christmas gifts). Wool...