Skip to main content

Vincent D'Onofrio Doesn't Need To Pierce His Eyebrow!

My son wants to pierce some portion of his face/ears.  One day he wants a pierced ear, another day he'll talk about piercing his nose or his lip.  He hasn't wanted to pierce his eyebrow......yet.  I've said no to all requests.  Not because I have anything against piercings (I don't), but because, well, he's my son and I don't want any unnecessary holes in him.  I've spent the last 17 years trying to keep him in one piece.

Here's how I rationalized it.  I told him that women wear makeup and jewelry to adorn their faces.  Men don't need these things, I said, because they have facial hair and can change their look by growing and or shaving beards, sideburns and mustaches (as illustrated by Vincent D'Onofrio, below).

Photos courtesy of Google Images

My son wearing facial jewelry, therefore, would be the same as his sister wearing a fake beard or mustache.  He didn't buy it.  Not for a second.  But he did want to know if I would object to his sister wearing faux facial hair if it became popular (as illustrated by my daughter, below).


Before I answer that, let's take a minute to think about facial hair becoming a female fashion trend.  Would there be shops specializing in facial hair for women?  Would some women take more permanent measures and get beard implants?  Is that even possible?  If you overheard two men debating "Are those real?" while looking at a woman, they could be talking about her sideburns!

So back to the question, would I object to my daughter wearing a chin toupee if the became the rage?  I'll get back to you if that happens.   I hope I haven't started a new trend.....

Willoughby

Comments

Purple Flowers said…
I also hope you haven't started a new trends w/the females.
Good Luck w/talking you son out of the piercing phase.
Matty said…
Good for you putting the brakes on that. Count me old fashioned, but I don't like the guys wearing jewelry all over their face and head. Ack.
Unknown said…
I've told my daughter, because allergies run in the family, that she would have to wait until 16 before piercings would be allowed. And you know something...she's never wanted to pierce her ears or any other body part...nor does she want a tattoo (thank God!)
I don't like the facial piercings either...and I see plenty of them at school. They're pretty nasty when they get an infection!!

Take care ~Natalie
Bill Lisleman said…
wow a facial hair trend on women - that would be a hell of a reversal since women seem to hate hair anywhere but on their head. If you were to go by square footage women out shave men by quite a bit.
I don't think an earring is too bad. You know the piercings around the mouth can cause dental problems.
Did you asked him about a nose ring - women of my generation were rumored to desire men with those.
Joanna Jenkins said…
"I've spent the last 17 years trying to keep him in one piece." I love that.

I'm not a fan of body piercing either-- it actually looks uncomfortable to me. And come to think of it, getting my ears pierced were pretty painful.

As for a chin toupee on your daughter-- Gawd, I hope not ;-)

xo jj
Raoulysgirl said…
I've had the "normal" ear piercings since I was, like, 3 or 4. I another hole put in right above the first on my left ear when I was 16. I had the cartilage on my right ear pierced when I was 17. I had my nose pierced when I was 21.

I dropped the extra ear piercings first. They just became a nuisance. The nose lasted until I came down with a terrible cold...you can imagine why. I wear "normal" earrings when I go out...usually...which isn't very often anyway. Piercings are overrated.

Tattoos, on the other hand...I have 2 of...and don't regret them a bit...and want 2 more...but that's another story...

LOL!
Jenn Erickson said…
I certainly hope that a women's facial hair trend doesn't catch on. However, in the event that it does, those of us over 35 will perhaps be ahead of the trend! ;-)
D'Onfrio is one of my favorites! If he pierced an eyebrow... hmmm. Even tho the physical change might not 'change' who he is, but people tend to forget that and go for the instant reaction.
Good luck! Love your analogy.

Popular posts from this blog

Bugging Out

Spring is such a wonderful time of year.  The birds have returned and greet each morning with their lovely songs.  The tree branches are covered with green buds ready to burst into life.  The grass has shed it's yellow/brown pallor in favor of a lovely emerald.  The air is warm and breezy.  It's all so lovely except for one thing.  The bugs. Because of our nearly uninhabitable climate during the winter months, we don't see many bugs from late October through early April.  I almost forget how much I hate them until they come back.  And they know I hate them so they taunt me.  Ever since the thermometer hit the 60 degree mark, we've had flies congregating around the back porch.  I can't sit out there and enjoy my morning coffee without having them buzz past me. Now, flies I hate, but spiders I absolutely loathe.  Friday morning I walked into the bathroom to dry my hair and spotted what I thought was a bumble ...

It's Wednesday, Welcome Back To The Cocktail Party!

Welcome to Willoughby's Blog Style Cocktail Party. I hope you will find some new blogs to follow and expand your circle of blog friends. I know you're all anxious to mingle, so I'll get right to it. I'd like to introduce Deidra from Jumping Tandem .  I know you'll enjoy her blog as much as I do. Keeping It Real.... Deidra I'm an East Coast girl living in the midwest because I love my husband (I call him "H" around here) and his work brought us here. We have been blessed with two amazing children (currently in college) and an empty nest that I absolutely love! Don't get me wrong, I love my kids but they're destined to change the world and they can't do that living under my roof (although they're welcome back anytime for love, prayers, support, encouragement, and of course homecooked meals and clean laundry). Did I mention that H is a pastor? So that makes me the pastor's wife - but don't let that blur your vision. H is...

It's Time For A Giveaway!

I am excited to announce that Novica has, once again given me a $50 gift card to award to one lucky winner.  If you're not familiar with Novica , they work in association with National Geographic to bring the work of talented artists and artisans around the globe to the rest of the world via the internet. Shopping their website is a unique experience as you can view information about each artist along with the works they create.  It gives each item a very personal feeling.  In the Keepers Of The Arts section, you can watch videos of the artists at work. I love Novica so much that I could go on and on telling you how wonderful their website is, what great customer service they have and, especially, how talented the artisans are, but it would be much more fun for you to see for yourself.  Before you head over there, though, let me give you a sneak peak of some of the wonderful things you'll discover (and maybe help you find some unique Christmas gifts). Wool...