Skip to main content

Let's Get Cooking Together! Mixed Berry Cobbler

Grab your car keys and head on over to your local farmer's market......or roadside produce stand.....or berry farm.....or supermarket.  Wherever you can get some gorgeous fresh summer berries, you need to go right now.  It will be worth the trip.  Promise. 

This dessert is so simple and quick to make that you can whip it up shortly before the guests arrive to your cookout.  For Father's Day, we made it with a combination of raspberries, blueberries and blackberries, but you can use whatever berries you like best.  Be sure to taste your berries and adjust the amount of sugar accordingly (ours were a bit tart, we used about 3/4 cup sugar).  Serve warm with a dollop of whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream.

Grab a partner (because the whole point is to have fun cooking with someone you love), pour a few glasses of your favorite beverage and turn on some great music. Let's get cooking!


 

Mixed Berry Cobbler

Fruit layer:

8 cups fresh berries (4 pints), rinsed

1/2 to 1 cup granulated sugar

1/3 cup all-purpose flour

juice of 1/2 lemon

zest of 1/2 lemon

1 1/2 teaspoons almond extract

pinch salt


Topping layer:

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

2 tablespoons granulated sugar

2 teaspoons baking powder

pinch salt

8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter, cubed

1/2 cup heavy cream

1 1/2 teaspoons almond extract

1 tablespoon granulated sugar


Preheat oven to 350°.

Fruit layer: In a very large mixing bowl, toss berries with sugar, flour, lemon juice, lemon zest, almond extract and salt.  Transfer to a 7 x 11 baking dish.  Set aside.

Topping layer: Place flour, 2 tablespoons sugar, baking powder and salt in the bowl of a food processor.  Cover and pulse several times.  Remove lid and add cubed butter.  Cover and pulse until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.  Pour heavy cream and almond extract through feed tube and process just until a loose dough forms.

Drop dough by tablespoons over bottom layer until fruit is covered and dough is gone.  Sprinkle remaining 1 tablespoon of sugar over all.

Bake at 350° for 35 - 40 minutes or until fruit is bubbling and topping is golden.  Let cool slightly before serving. 




Enjoy!


Willoughby

Comments

oh my...that looks soooo GOOD !!!

we hit a berry stand yesterday...now i know what i'll be doing with them...

have a great weekend, my friend

kary
xx
Jenn Erickson said…
Mmmmm...sounds like the perfect berry cobbler to me! I think a trip to the berry farm is in store for my family! Thanks for the inspiration, my friend!

Jenn
Joanna Jenkins said…
YUM! I bookmarked this page. I'm headed to the Farmer's Market in the morning and having this for dinner tomorrow night :-)
Thanks!
xo jj
Jenny said…
Berries are always a beautiful thing! This looks delicious!

Popular posts from this blog

Bugging Out

Spring is such a wonderful time of year.  The birds have returned and greet each morning with their lovely songs.  The tree branches are covered with green buds ready to burst into life.  The grass has shed it's yellow/brown pallor in favor of a lovely emerald.  The air is warm and breezy.  It's all so lovely except for one thing.  The bugs. Because of our nearly uninhabitable climate during the winter months, we don't see many bugs from late October through early April.  I almost forget how much I hate them until they come back.  And they know I hate them so they taunt me.  Ever since the thermometer hit the 60 degree mark, we've had flies congregating around the back porch.  I can't sit out there and enjoy my morning coffee without having them buzz past me. Now, flies I hate, but spiders I absolutely loathe.  Friday morning I walked into the bathroom to dry my hair and spotted what I thought was a bumble ...

It's Wednesday, Welcome Back To The Cocktail Party!

Welcome to Willoughby's Blog Style Cocktail Party. I hope you will find some new blogs to follow and expand your circle of blog friends. I know you're all anxious to mingle, so I'll get right to it. I'd like to introduce Deidra from Jumping Tandem .  I know you'll enjoy her blog as much as I do. Keeping It Real.... Deidra I'm an East Coast girl living in the midwest because I love my husband (I call him "H" around here) and his work brought us here. We have been blessed with two amazing children (currently in college) and an empty nest that I absolutely love! Don't get me wrong, I love my kids but they're destined to change the world and they can't do that living under my roof (although they're welcome back anytime for love, prayers, support, encouragement, and of course homecooked meals and clean laundry). Did I mention that H is a pastor? So that makes me the pastor's wife - but don't let that blur your vision. H is...

It's Time For A Giveaway!

I am excited to announce that Novica has, once again given me a $50 gift card to award to one lucky winner.  If you're not familiar with Novica , they work in association with National Geographic to bring the work of talented artists and artisans around the globe to the rest of the world via the internet. Shopping their website is a unique experience as you can view information about each artist along with the works they create.  It gives each item a very personal feeling.  In the Keepers Of The Arts section, you can watch videos of the artists at work. I love Novica so much that I could go on and on telling you how wonderful their website is, what great customer service they have and, especially, how talented the artisans are, but it would be much more fun for you to see for yourself.  Before you head over there, though, let me give you a sneak peak of some of the wonderful things you'll discover (and maybe help you find some unique Christmas gifts). Wool...