Skip to main content

Is This Heaven? No, It's Michigan

Yesterday started out warm and breezy.  The sky was a clear brilliant blue, save for the occasional white cloud drifting by.  It was as close to the perfect summer morning as you could hope for.

As the day wore on, the temperature and humidity rose sharply.  The air felt thick and heavy under what had now become a dull, gray sky.  Even a short walk to the park had transformed into a perspiration inducing task.  It was downright dreary; clear that rain was on it's way.

There is nothing quite like a good summer rain and no better place to view it than a covered porch, so we sat outside and waited for it to begin.  From time to time a dark cloud would spill a dozen or so big drops, but that was about it.  Eventually, we gave up waiting and went about our evening.

Mr. Willoughby was at the back of the yard near the pool when he called up to me.  He told me to step off the porch and come look at the sky.  It was amazing, he said, and I needed to see it.

As soon as I stepped far enough into the yard to see over our house, I was awestruck.  There were colors and shapes and patterns that only nature could produce.  It was powerful and inspiring.  Humbling and breathtaking.  Because I knew that I could never adequately remember or describe it, I ran in the house and grabbed the camera.  I took some still shots and some video (the background noise you hear in the videos is the wind and the chirping of cicadas).



    




It was even more lovely and vibrant in person, like witnessing the descent of Heaven to Earth.

Shortly after the videos were taken, we were treated to an intense light show as jagged bolts and sheets of lightening overtook the sky.  I have spared you the video where Mr. W. impersonates Doc Brown and shouts "1.21 jiggawatts" in the background and I laugh my fool head off, nearly dropping the camera.


Willoughby


*The answer to my "Unanswered Question" post is approximately 250 miles, according to several sources I consulted.

**There is still time to enter my Running T-Shirt Giveaway!  Click here for more info.

Comments

Jenn Erickson said…
What an incredible sky! While I'm grateful that we don't get the humidity out here, I do miss a good summer rain and spectacular lightening show!

Jenn
Unknown said…
Impressive. Next time, show us the light show as well. We could use the chuckle as well!
Lydia said…
What beautiful open skies you have! Thank you for posting.
Bill Lisleman said…
what's better than a couple enjoying the free weather show taking place over their heads?
Jenny said…
What a gorgeous sky. I remember those storm skies from when I lived in Ohio! Just awe inspiring!

Popular posts from this blog

Bugging Out

Spring is such a wonderful time of year.  The birds have returned and greet each morning with their lovely songs.  The tree branches are covered with green buds ready to burst into life.  The grass has shed it's yellow/brown pallor in favor of a lovely emerald.  The air is warm and breezy.  It's all so lovely except for one thing.  The bugs. Because of our nearly uninhabitable climate during the winter months, we don't see many bugs from late October through early April.  I almost forget how much I hate them until they come back.  And they know I hate them so they taunt me.  Ever since the thermometer hit the 60 degree mark, we've had flies congregating around the back porch.  I can't sit out there and enjoy my morning coffee without having them buzz past me. Now, flies I hate, but spiders I absolutely loathe.  Friday morning I walked into the bathroom to dry my hair and spotted what I thought was a bumble ...

It's Wednesday, Welcome Back To The Cocktail Party!

Welcome to Willoughby's Blog Style Cocktail Party. I hope you will find some new blogs to follow and expand your circle of blog friends. I know you're all anxious to mingle, so I'll get right to it. I'd like to introduce Deidra from Jumping Tandem .  I know you'll enjoy her blog as much as I do. Keeping It Real.... Deidra I'm an East Coast girl living in the midwest because I love my husband (I call him "H" around here) and his work brought us here. We have been blessed with two amazing children (currently in college) and an empty nest that I absolutely love! Don't get me wrong, I love my kids but they're destined to change the world and they can't do that living under my roof (although they're welcome back anytime for love, prayers, support, encouragement, and of course homecooked meals and clean laundry). Did I mention that H is a pastor? So that makes me the pastor's wife - but don't let that blur your vision. H is...

It's Time For A Giveaway!

I am excited to announce that Novica has, once again given me a $50 gift card to award to one lucky winner.  If you're not familiar with Novica , they work in association with National Geographic to bring the work of talented artists and artisans around the globe to the rest of the world via the internet. Shopping their website is a unique experience as you can view information about each artist along with the works they create.  It gives each item a very personal feeling.  In the Keepers Of The Arts section, you can watch videos of the artists at work. I love Novica so much that I could go on and on telling you how wonderful their website is, what great customer service they have and, especially, how talented the artisans are, but it would be much more fun for you to see for yourself.  Before you head over there, though, let me give you a sneak peak of some of the wonderful things you'll discover (and maybe help you find some unique Christmas gifts). Wool...