Skip to main content

A Hair Raising Ghost Story

You may recall that we frequently have visitors of the supernatural variety in our home.  I told you about a few of them here.   There have been many more since then, but this most recent visit was different in several ways.  One, it was not human and two, it left a calling card behind.  This story is 100% true.

Last Thursday evening, right around dinner time, Mr. W, myself and our daughter were sitting around the kitchen island.  My daughter and I were facing Mr. W with our backs to the doorway, but from where he was sitting, Mr. W had a view straight through the dining room and into the living room.  He was looking past us and had an odd look on his face.

"Did we get a cat?" he asked.

"No, why?"

"I just saw a cat walk through the living room."  He held up his arm, then.  "Look, I've got goosebumps."

If any cat were going to visit us "from beyond", I assumed it would be our beloved caramel colored puff ball who passed away a year ago at the ripe old age of 21, so I asked, "Was it Chester?"

"No.  This cat was much lighter.  It may have been white," he said.

We took a quick look but found nothing.  The visiting cat had vanished into thin air.

The next day, I had forgotten all about it until I noticed my daughter's hand held game charging on the ottoman.  She had set it there because it's close to an electrical outlet.  As I picked it up to unplug it, I saw something in bold contrast to the brown leather.  A single white hair, curved, about three inches long.  A cat hair.  I'm not kidding.

I tried to come up with a rational explanation for the appearance of the hair.  I thought maybe it wasn't a cat hair at all, but a human hair.  However, that seems highly unlikely.  While Mr. W and I both have a little gray coming in, his hair is much too short and my hair is much too long to match the hair on the ottoman.  The kids don't have white hair and we no longer have any pets.  We don't have anything with fur on it except the hood of my daughter's coat.  Even then, it's fake fur, and much shorter and darker than the hair I found.  Above all, after having cats for more than 20 years, I know a cat hair when I see one.



Willoughby

Comments

L.B. said…
That is creepy!!! I always wonder what I'd do if I saw something like that, like what your hubby saw and what you saw. I probably wouldn't have handled it as well as your hubby, that's for sure.
Bill Lisleman said…
You should get some ghost mice and maybe the cat will come back.
Would the ghost phase count as a part of their nine lives?
Some people there are pets in heaven. I don't.
Nice story it gave me something to ponder.
Jenny said…
Oooooh....

Creepy.

Could it have come in an open window?

Yikes.

This gave me goosebumps!
Oh my goodness glory girl. I've had some pretty unexplainable things happen too. Kinda make ya afraid to speak of 'em 'cause your afraid folks will think your nuts.

Who knows what the spirit world holds. It's something we rarely talk about isn't it?

God bless ya sweetie and have yourself a beautiful weekend!!! :o)
Betty Manousos said…
ooooh, that is creepy!! i believe in spirits and the supernatural although i've never had such things happen to me...or experience something like that.

weird things happen all the time.

wonderful story, it gave me goosebumps.


wish you a great week ahead!

xoxo
Jenn Erickson said…
Whoah....what an eerie, yet cool experience.

I love Bill's comment above about getting ghost mice!

Popular posts from this blog

Bugging Out

Spring is such a wonderful time of year.  The birds have returned and greet each morning with their lovely songs.  The tree branches are covered with green buds ready to burst into life.  The grass has shed it's yellow/brown pallor in favor of a lovely emerald.  The air is warm and breezy.  It's all so lovely except for one thing.  The bugs. Because of our nearly uninhabitable climate during the winter months, we don't see many bugs from late October through early April.  I almost forget how much I hate them until they come back.  And they know I hate them so they taunt me.  Ever since the thermometer hit the 60 degree mark, we've had flies congregating around the back porch.  I can't sit out there and enjoy my morning coffee without having them buzz past me. Now, flies I hate, but spiders I absolutely loathe.  Friday morning I walked into the bathroom to dry my hair and spotted what I thought was a bumble ...

It's Wednesday, Welcome Back To The Cocktail Party!

Welcome to Willoughby's Blog Style Cocktail Party. I hope you will find some new blogs to follow and expand your circle of blog friends. I know you're all anxious to mingle, so I'll get right to it. I'd like to introduce Deidra from Jumping Tandem .  I know you'll enjoy her blog as much as I do. Keeping It Real.... Deidra I'm an East Coast girl living in the midwest because I love my husband (I call him "H" around here) and his work brought us here. We have been blessed with two amazing children (currently in college) and an empty nest that I absolutely love! Don't get me wrong, I love my kids but they're destined to change the world and they can't do that living under my roof (although they're welcome back anytime for love, prayers, support, encouragement, and of course homecooked meals and clean laundry). Did I mention that H is a pastor? So that makes me the pastor's wife - but don't let that blur your vision. H is...

It's Time For A Giveaway!

I am excited to announce that Novica has, once again given me a $50 gift card to award to one lucky winner.  If you're not familiar with Novica , they work in association with National Geographic to bring the work of talented artists and artisans around the globe to the rest of the world via the internet. Shopping their website is a unique experience as you can view information about each artist along with the works they create.  It gives each item a very personal feeling.  In the Keepers Of The Arts section, you can watch videos of the artists at work. I love Novica so much that I could go on and on telling you how wonderful their website is, what great customer service they have and, especially, how talented the artisans are, but it would be much more fun for you to see for yourself.  Before you head over there, though, let me give you a sneak peak of some of the wonderful things you'll discover (and maybe help you find some unique Christmas gifts). Wool...