Skip to main content

Paperwork Update and Awkward Moment

I don't usually post more than once each day, but I'm going to today.

First of all, an update on my lost paperwork, I still haven't found it. However, I found out that I can get a replacement copy of it (for $20), so I can stop looking. That's a relief!

And now, on the lighter side, I was reading Muddy Runner's blog about taking Tango lessons. It sounds like such a fun thing to do, even though I'm not much of a dancer, myself. I used to go to the dances in high school and all my friends and I would get in a circle and sort of "jump" to the beat instead of really dancing. If I try any "real" moves, I look a little like I'm having a seizure and other dancers in my vicinity are likely to be hurt by my flailing limbs. It's just not in my genes, I guess.

Now slow dancing, that's different. I can do that. I'm not talking about any fancy steps or anything like that, but I'm not too bad at it. My husband and I have never been hurt or injured others while dancing. Slow dancing is fine by me.

This brings me to my story of awkwardness. Years ago (I was still a teenager), at my brother's wedding reception, they had a bride's dance where men could take turns dancing with the bride. It was a slow dance and very dignified. No one looked foolish. When that was over, they announced a groom's dance and invited the ladies to form a circle around the groom and take turns dancing with him. Two of my friends were guests at the reception, so the three of us joined the circle. Things got awkward as soon as the music started. This was no slow dance, this was full out shake your booty dance music! My friends jumped out of the circle so fast there were skid marks on the dance floor, but I didn't react fast enough!

I should pause here and tell you two things. Number one, my brother is a worse dancer than I am. Bad, bad, bad, bad, bad. Did I mention he was bad? Number two, I was a bridesmaid at this wedding, so when you picture this, remember that I am wearing a dusty rose bridesmaid's dress and my brother is wearing a silvery gray tux. Got it?

Ok, back to the story, the music starts and my brother is standing in the middle of the circle sort of twitching back and forth to the beat. I don't recall who jumped in and danced with him first, but there were only a few of us, so my turn came second or third. What a nightmare! He's twitching and I'm flailing. And we look like Donny and Marie because of the way we're dressed. Oh, the humility. Thank goodness no one video taped it.



Comments

Raoulysgirl said…
OMG...I needed the laugh! Thanks!
Lissaloo said…
Too funny! You made me laugh, and I needed that today :)
L.B. said…
Hilarious! That twitching-and-flailing technique was one I sadly employed for years, before yesterday of course.
HOOOEY!!! Now THAT was FUNNY! and you are brave enough to actually write it out in PUBLIC??? ;) Thanks for the laugh!!!
OMG, too funny. Too bad there's no video of it...

Popular posts from this blog

Bugging Out

Spring is such a wonderful time of year.  The birds have returned and greet each morning with their lovely songs.  The tree branches are covered with green buds ready to burst into life.  The grass has shed it's yellow/brown pallor in favor of a lovely emerald.  The air is warm and breezy.  It's all so lovely except for one thing.  The bugs. Because of our nearly uninhabitable climate during the winter months, we don't see many bugs from late October through early April.  I almost forget how much I hate them until they come back.  And they know I hate them so they taunt me.  Ever since the thermometer hit the 60 degree mark, we've had flies congregating around the back porch.  I can't sit out there and enjoy my morning coffee without having them buzz past me. Now, flies I hate, but spiders I absolutely loathe.  Friday morning I walked into the bathroom to dry my hair and spotted what I thought was a bumble ...

It's Wednesday, Welcome Back To The Cocktail Party!

Welcome to Willoughby's Blog Style Cocktail Party. I hope you will find some new blogs to follow and expand your circle of blog friends. I know you're all anxious to mingle, so I'll get right to it. I'd like to introduce Deidra from Jumping Tandem .  I know you'll enjoy her blog as much as I do. Keeping It Real.... Deidra I'm an East Coast girl living in the midwest because I love my husband (I call him "H" around here) and his work brought us here. We have been blessed with two amazing children (currently in college) and an empty nest that I absolutely love! Don't get me wrong, I love my kids but they're destined to change the world and they can't do that living under my roof (although they're welcome back anytime for love, prayers, support, encouragement, and of course homecooked meals and clean laundry). Did I mention that H is a pastor? So that makes me the pastor's wife - but don't let that blur your vision. H is...

It's Time For A Giveaway!

I am excited to announce that Novica has, once again given me a $50 gift card to award to one lucky winner.  If you're not familiar with Novica , they work in association with National Geographic to bring the work of talented artists and artisans around the globe to the rest of the world via the internet. Shopping their website is a unique experience as you can view information about each artist along with the works they create.  It gives each item a very personal feeling.  In the Keepers Of The Arts section, you can watch videos of the artists at work. I love Novica so much that I could go on and on telling you how wonderful their website is, what great customer service they have and, especially, how talented the artisans are, but it would be much more fun for you to see for yourself.  Before you head over there, though, let me give you a sneak peak of some of the wonderful things you'll discover (and maybe help you find some unique Christmas gifts). Wool...