Skip to main content

Go Hang A Salami; I'm A Lasagna Hog!

I'll bet you're wondering what that title means. Read it backward and you'll see. It's a palindrome; a word or phrase that is the same read forward or back. Racecar, deed, mom, dad, toot and radar are all palindromes, too. Yes, my friends, we will be having fun with words again today. Creating palindromes may be considered floccinaucinihilipilification (categorized as worthless), so instead we will discuss some new words to add to our vocabulary. I'm sanguine (cheerfully confident or optimistic) that you'll enjoy using them.

Remember the nude resort from this post? You may cause some umbrage if you stare at the sunbathers. Someone may be offended and ululate in your direction. You may even have to put your hands over your tragi. Before you think this has become an x-rated blog, I'll translate. Umbrage is the feeling of being offended, ululate is to lament loudly and tragi is the plural form of tragus which is the flap of cartilage that protects the hole in your ear.

Do you suppose they offer classes in tauromachy at this resort? That could be dangerous. Of course, the art of bullfighting is dangerous regardless of how much or how little clothing you're wearing. You certainly wouldn't want to spartle while you're standing in front of a bull, because moving in a sprawling or struggling manor might provoke him. In fact, it might just be best to leave the nude resort altogether. You are spending way too much time there, people are going claver!

Speaking of gossip, do you know anyone who is a quidnunc? If you do, you should be careful what you say around them. A quidnunc is a busybody or gossip. They would love to tell everyone about that embarrassing wet spot on your oxter. But then they would have to explain why they were looking in your armpit.

It's only natural that you would perspire if you were involved in some sort of physical activity. How about a penny-farthing? You could really work up a sweat riding one of those old fashioned bicycles with the big front tire. Even if you don't have one, it's really fun to say. Try it. Penny-farthing, penny-farthing, penny-farthing.

Meldrop is the penultimate, or next to last word that I'm going to share with you today. If your allergies are bothering you while you ride your penny-farthing (yep, it's still fun to say), you might develop a meldrop. Be sure you have a tissue to wipe it off. It's a drop of mucus at the end of your nose. Gross.

Lastly, if you need to make a stop at a public restroom to clean up that meldrop (yep, still gross), be sure to check out the latrinalia. Just don't get caught adding any of your own or you may have to clean it up. You do know that means restroom graffiti, right?

See how many of these words you can work into everyday conversations and until we meet again, ponder this: Are we not drawn onward, we few, drawn onward to new era?

Comments

Unknown said…
My allergies are so bad today that not only do I have meldrops to spare but my brain is a wee bit discombobulated. I'm also a tad lachrymose, too.
Gracey said…
From all these words, I only knew the "tragi" (medical terminology and Greek origin) and the "tauromachy" (also Greek). Thanks for the fun "lesson"! :)

Popular posts from this blog

Bugging Out

Spring is such a wonderful time of year.  The birds have returned and greet each morning with their lovely songs.  The tree branches are covered with green buds ready to burst into life.  The grass has shed it's yellow/brown pallor in favor of a lovely emerald.  The air is warm and breezy.  It's all so lovely except for one thing.  The bugs. Because of our nearly uninhabitable climate during the winter months, we don't see many bugs from late October through early April.  I almost forget how much I hate them until they come back.  And they know I hate them so they taunt me.  Ever since the thermometer hit the 60 degree mark, we've had flies congregating around the back porch.  I can't sit out there and enjoy my morning coffee without having them buzz past me. Now, flies I hate, but spiders I absolutely loathe.  Friday morning I walked into the bathroom to dry my hair and spotted what I thought was a bumble ...

It's Wednesday, Welcome Back To The Cocktail Party!

Welcome to Willoughby's Blog Style Cocktail Party. I hope you will find some new blogs to follow and expand your circle of blog friends. I know you're all anxious to mingle, so I'll get right to it. I'd like to introduce Deidra from Jumping Tandem .  I know you'll enjoy her blog as much as I do. Keeping It Real.... Deidra I'm an East Coast girl living in the midwest because I love my husband (I call him "H" around here) and his work brought us here. We have been blessed with two amazing children (currently in college) and an empty nest that I absolutely love! Don't get me wrong, I love my kids but they're destined to change the world and they can't do that living under my roof (although they're welcome back anytime for love, prayers, support, encouragement, and of course homecooked meals and clean laundry). Did I mention that H is a pastor? So that makes me the pastor's wife - but don't let that blur your vision. H is...

It's Time For A Giveaway!

I am excited to announce that Novica has, once again given me a $50 gift card to award to one lucky winner.  If you're not familiar with Novica , they work in association with National Geographic to bring the work of talented artists and artisans around the globe to the rest of the world via the internet. Shopping their website is a unique experience as you can view information about each artist along with the works they create.  It gives each item a very personal feeling.  In the Keepers Of The Arts section, you can watch videos of the artists at work. I love Novica so much that I could go on and on telling you how wonderful their website is, what great customer service they have and, especially, how talented the artisans are, but it would be much more fun for you to see for yourself.  Before you head over there, though, let me give you a sneak peak of some of the wonderful things you'll discover (and maybe help you find some unique Christmas gifts). Wool...