Friday, November 12, 2010

Your Thoughts Wanted and Scenery Worth Sharing

I'm not an idiot.  I may look like one sometimes, I may act like one sometimes, but I'm really not an idiot, so I hate to be treated like one.  Recently, I was in situation where someone was talking down to me and treating me like an idiot.  This was someone I had never met before, so the condescending attitude was unexpected.  How did I handle it?  I didn't. 

While I'm not normally confrontational, I'm most certainly not opposed to opening up a can of verbal whoop-ass when push comes to shove (metaphorically, not physically).  Now, I can't help thinking about what I could have or should have said. 

Did I keep my mouth shut because I was caught off guard?  Was I simply being polite?  Does it make me the better person?  Would I regret it now if I had been equally rude?  I just don't know, but it's bothering me.

So what are your thoughts, blog friends?  When do you speak up for yourself and when do you let it go?  I'd like to hear your thoughts.

********** 

Have you ever been to Michigan?  If not, I wonder what comes to mind when you think of our mitten shaped state.  I've known people who have relocated here from other states and were surprised to find it didn't fit with their preconceived notions.  Detroit gets so much media attention that I think that may be part of the problem.  I assure you, the rest of the state does not look like Detroit!  A large portion of Michigan is still very rural.  Northern Michigan and the upper peninsula have particularly beautiful scenery.

I subscribe to Pure Michigan on Facebook.  They post a variety of Michigan information including local events and trivia (your state probably has something similar).  Recently, they posted this gem.  It's Kid Rock's newest video, filmed entirely in the upper peninsula of Michigan.

Whether this -


- or this -

is your idea of Michigan (and even if it isn't) I hope you'll take a few minutes and watch the video.  It shows the Michigan you've probably never seen and the song is pretty great, too.


(Neither the state of Michigan nor Kid Rock paid me to endorse this video.  I wish.)

Willoughby

7 comments:

Purple Flowers said...

When in a situation that I begin not to like because of negativity towards me or others, I realize I am in a confrontational situation, and I get myself out as gracefully as possible. When the "put down" is about me to me, I say something in my defense. It doesn't have to be nasty, but I will not be walked on. "Life is 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you deal with it." Vince Lombardo-former football coach.
Sorry for rambling. Have a great weekend, no matter WHAT anyone says.

Matty said...

I've always been non-confrontational. I usually let things go because I don't see the importance in it tomorrow, next week, next year, or 100 years from now. That being said however, depending on what the situation is, then yes, I might stand my ground. But it would have to be something that really gets under my skin.

I've never been to Michigan. I always think of tulips though because I know people who take the bus trips there to see the tulips.

L.B. said...

I don't really like to be confrontational. I'd just as soon avoid confrontation, but like you I don't like to be pushed around.

However, I do have a meltdown every now and then. I guess that's only normal. I never really can tell what's going to set me off, whether it's poor service at a restaurant... oh, the last huge meltdown I had was at Disneyland when some woman pushed her children in front of my girls so they could get a closer look at some show or something. It was in an open space so it wasn't like organized necessarily, just kind of a crowd of people, and this woman just shoves her kids right in front of mine, blocks them and everything. I was furious, irate, went from calm to super-pissed in like two seconds. So I guess if you eff with my kids you should expect to get my worst :) Man just thinking about that gets my blood boiling again.

I'll watch the video. I've never been to Michigan but hopefully one day I'll make it there. Maybe if there's ever a big soccer game I'll go there. Although I think the last big soccer game there was during the 1994 World Cup :)

My Farmhouse Kitchen said...

...depends on my mood, mostly i guess..if i am in a not-so-good mood i may take them to the mat.

usually i say nothing and walk away.
i just don't like confrontation either...but don't like being treated as an idiot either.

happy to see you at farmhouse, my friend

kary and teddy
xxxx
p.s. the only thing i have seen of Michigan is the airport...on my way to Portland, Maine...looked beautiful with the trees turning color in October
:-)

Jenny said...

While I am not confrontational I do not let anyone walk on my feelings anymore.

When someone is cruel or inappropriate I simply say to them, 'Why would you say that to me?' and walk away.

Joanna Jenkins said...

Wellll... I supposed some people might say I'm a tad bit confrontational but-- I'll let things go if the person is someone I'll never see again. Then I could care less what they think or if they talk down to me. I laugh it off. But, if they are someone I have a relationship with I'm apt to say "Whoa!" in a very nice tone of voice and try to figure out what's up.
Cheers, jj

Holly Lefevre said...

I typically do not handle confrontation either...I cannot stand it.

What a great video....I would probably have never seen it. I keep wanting to not like Kid Rock, but I end up liking and enjoying so much of his music. Michigan is gorgeous! I'll move there...anyone have a job?