Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Sometimes, My Virtual Wanderings Are A Bad Idea

I know, I know, I haven't been around much, lately.  I'm trying to get back to blogging regularly.  Really I am.  It's just that I've been so busy doing important things like developing a plan for world peace, building a perpetual motion machine and writing a literal translation of the quatrains of Nostradamus.  In my spare time I've been studying quantum physics and learning ancient languages.  Yeah, something like that, anyway.

Sometimes, when I'm online doing research for said activities, I get sidetracked.  Today, I got caught up in Twilight Zone trivia.  You probably know what a Twilight Zone fan I am, so you can understand how all things TZ are interesting to me.  I love to know what inspired a particular episode or get some behind the scenes scoop.  It started out innocently enough, but I was in too deep before I knew it.  Way too deep.

Alongside trivia about the original 1960's series was information about the 1983 production of Twilight Zone: The Movie.  I was aware that a tragic accident happened during the filming, but I did not know the specifics.  There was a segment that was supposed to take place during the Vietnam war.  Actor Vic Morrow was to run across a river carrying two young children.  All around him explosions would be going off and a helicopter would be flying overhead.  Evidently, the special effects explosions caused the helicopter pilot to lose control and crash, which crushed one of the children to death and decapitated Vic Morrow and the other child actor.

I clicked on a video, thinking it was a clip from the released version of the movie.  It was not.  To my horror, it was the accident as it took place.  A number of cameras were rolling at the time and it was captured on film.  I immediately stopped the video when I realized what I was looking at, but it was still sickening.  All I really saw was the helicopter crashing to the ground and the blades of the propeller shearing off......but still......just knowing what was happening within the fire and smoke.....so upsetting.  It was several hours ago that I watched it and I'm still shaken.

Like I said, sometimes my virtual wanderings are a bad idea.


Willoughby

4 comments:

Bill Lisleman said...

I remember that story about a filming accident. BTW - there was a tragic accident during the filming of Transformers in Chicago many months ago. I would not have expected a clip of the accident to be posted. Are you really interested in quantum physics? I've read a number of good books on the subject and could give suggestions. Another good source of good science is youtube (of course there is plenty of garbage too). Check out the Richard Feynman clips.
I can related to driving too deep into subjects on the internet. I believe the internet could have black holes in it. Well if you have time browse over - always enjoy your comments.

Unknown said...

I can understand how disturbing that can be. I also understand what a time trap web browsing is. For example, I am taking the whole day off to clean and put Christmas away but have spent the past 2 hours surfing the web!

Attila the Mom said...

Oh yikes! I remember once years ago I was reading posts in a doll forum and some joker (to put it nicely)uploaded a death photo of actor Chris Farley taken before they removed his body from his house.

Before it registered in my brain, I was looking at it and thinking, "what the heck is a picture of a fat guy with a huge black ball in his mouth doing in this doll forum?" Oh god, it was his swollen tongue!

I would never deliberately click on pictures of dead people or deadly accidents, etc. I had nightmares about it for MONTHS!

ChristineM said...

I remember that accident and I've seen the same footage - it does give me chills. So sad. Love the Twilight Zone, though - especially the old ones!