- "I know your mother taught you not to talk to strangers, but it's okay to talk to me because I'm nice." A woman I'd never met said this to my son while we were standing in line at the supermarket. He was about 4 years old at the time. I suppose she meant well, but don't you think a not-so-nice person might make the same claim?
- "It's way too hot to try to this on. You're about my size, can you put this on so I can see how well it would fit me?" A woman asked me this while my neighbor and I were having a yard sale. She was interested in buying my neighbor's heavyweight terrycloth bathrobe and wanted me to model it. It was over 90 degrees that day. I said no.
- "I do see a break in the bone, but it could be a natural crack. I'm not sure if your foot is broken or not." A doctor said this while looking at my husband's x-rays. The fork from a fork lift had dropped on his foot.
- "We can't file them alphabetically because they don't come in that way." A clerk in the video store said this while I was looking for a movie. They placed the movies on the shelves in the order in which they were released on video. Small wonder that store is no longer in business!
- "It's twenty dollars, but if you really need it, I'll give it to you for fifteen." A vendor at the flea market said this to me when I asked about the price of a corner shelf. If I needed it really, really badly, I wonder if she would have dropped the price to ten dollars?
- "I don't want to spend more than fifteen dollars, but I don't want them to look cheap. Can you do that?" A potential customer of my gift basket business asked me this. She wanted two large gift baskets but didn't want to spend more than seven dollars and fifty cents on each one. I like a challenge, and I'm willing to work on a tight budget, but that was impossible.
- "Whoa! I don't need to know all the details!" That was my doctor's reaction when I tried to explain how I knew the exact date my daughter was conceived. For the record, he misunderstood, I wasn't planning to give him a play by play!
- "Can you still conceive?" A woman I barely knew asked me this when she found out my daughter had been born prematurely. A shockingly personal question, in my opinion.
- "You missed a spot." Every person that passed our house while we were painting it said this. It lost it's humor after the 100th time.
- "We're not sure we want the hush puppies. How are they made and what do they taste like?" Someone from the table behind ours asked this at a seafood restaurant in North Carolina. Did they, perhaps, think they were made with real puppies? They were complimentary while you waited for your meal. If you want to know what hush puppies taste like, try one, they're free!!
Thanks, Joanna, for giving me an idea to blog about today!
Our yard projects begin tonight, but I will try to back later to open the bar. I hope to see you then!