Friday, February 13, 2009

The Bar Is Open

It's Friday night, and more often than not, that means Mr. Willoughby and I have a drink together. Sometimes we're lazy and make do with Captain Morgan and Coke, or simple Margaritas. Tonight, however, we're having my favorite mixed drink. Drumroll, please........Long Island Iced Tea!

If you've never had one, let me impress upon you that this drink does not contain tea in any form. It looks like tea when it's done, hence the name. This drink is amazingly smooth, despite the fact that it contains a whopping five kinds of liquor. There are many different recipes for a classic Long Island, but we like this one the best. You will need to make some simple syrup (equal parts water and sugar, bring to a boil for one minute, cool). We always use a high quality tequila because the lesser quality brands will give you a bitter tasting drink, but other than that, you can go for less expensive brands of everything else.
Here's what you'll need:

  • 1 part Tequila
  • 1 part rum
  • 1 part vodka
  • 1 part gin
  • 1/2 part triple sec
  • 1 part whiskey sour mix
  • 1 part simple syrup
  • ice
  • Coke or another cola



As you can see, we make this in a pitcher. You can also make it by the glass, if you want to. Pour all your liquors into the pitcher (or glass) and stir well to combine. Your mixture will look like lemonade at this point.

Add ice to glasses. Pour mixture over ice to within several inches of the top of the glass. Add a splash of Coke, but don't stir. That's it! Serve.

See how it looks like tea once you add the Coke? I've never actually calculated the total "proof" of this drink, but it packs a punch! Please, don't enjoy this beverage if you are going to be driving or operating heavy machinery! And if you have a few and make a total fool of yourself, don't blame me (but do be sure and give me all the details). Happy Friday, everyone, and please drink responsibly.

3 comments:

Raoulysgirl said...

Hee hee...I've had a few of those! And look at you...still able to write a post!!!! Sounds like a great tradition for the two of you!!!!!!!!! BTW...I finished Duma Key a while back...it was classic! I truly wasn't disappointed in the book...just my ability to thoroughly enjoy it as much as I used to!

Donna-FFW said...

OH YES!! You are so talking to me! I LOVE long island Ice Teas!! Now I have a recipe to try!! Thanks.. can't wai to give them a go. Love your blog, just found it!

Willoughby said...

Raoulysgirl - I had only had a few sips when I posted, lol!

I can't wait to get back to Duma Key, it's sitting on my coffee table begging me to finish it. I've enjoyed it so far, I'm anxious to see how it ends.

Donna-FFW - Welcome! I'm glad to have you here! Come back anytime!!